Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump start time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump start time?

Hi guys,

My salt water pump is programmed to run from 1pm to 9pm 7 days a week. Will it cause any harm to the pool if I change the pump times from say 6am to 2pm? My thoughts are that on the 1-9pm schedule it will be at the peak electric usage time, especially in the summer here in Southern, CA. I have Jandy equipment.

Thoughts on this?

Emil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump start time?

Hi emil,
    you can run your pump however long you feel you need to and whatever time you need to.

The best advice I can give you is to read this. Its a great reference.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time

Since you have a saltwater pool, you need to measure your FC a couple of times a day and lean how much chlorine your SWG is making during the pump time, and then adjust accordingly.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

You might also consider splitting up your pump run cycle (i.e. chlorine generation in your case) to two or 3 separate cycles with a timer if it helps keep your FC more uniform.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    My salt water pump is programmed to run from 1pm to 9pm 7 days a week. Will it cause any harm to the pool if I change the pump times from say 6am to 2pm?
    Thoughts on this?
    Hello Emil, no harm switching times. You could break up your times if you want to avoid peak usage.
    Ensure you're maintaining the proper FC/CYA levels. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info!