Aqualink PDA with variable speed pump questions

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
I'm thinking of adding a variable speed pump to my Aqualink PDA since my housing is cracked on my current Jandy Plus HP pump and I don't know how much longer it will last. The motor on the pump probably doesn't have all that long left either. I was going to go with the Ecotech motor when mine burnt up but since I probably will have to replace the housing, it seems better to take the easier approach and go with a VS pump that works directly with the PDA.

So I currently have 1 2.5 hp Jandy Plus HP pump. It seems the Jandy VS pumps only go up to 2hp and they seem to be expensive. It seems my best option is the Pentair VS pump. I've checked my PDA and it shows the Pentair option for VS pumps.

Question 1, if I wanted to go with the Jandy pump, would the VS Jandy 2hp do the job replacing the single speed 2.5 hp pump?

Question 2 and likely the way I would go since the Pentair is 3hp and cheaper is how do I install this thing to my current PDA system. It seems for a 1 speed pump, I'm hooked up to the pump relay. It seems the variable speed pump is supposed to be directly connected so i assume I can just move the wires on the switched side to the unswitched side of the relay so it is connected all the time. Then how do I hook up pentair variable speed pump to the PDA, is there a cable or something? Is it included? I looked at the installation manual and it said nothing about this.

Thanks

1) That depends on the specific details of both pumps, which I don't have handy at this moment. Generally speaking a 2HP pump will not move as much water as a 2.5 HP pump. That could reduce the flow from the water jets in the spa. Everything other than the spa jets would be fine.

2) The pentair gets wired directly to the breaker (if practical, or the line side of the relay if not practical). You then connect a data cable (should come with the pump) to a comm port on the PDA main control box, and finally configure the software so it knows to look for the pump.

1) That depends on the specific details of both pumps, which I don't have handy at this moment. Generally speaking a 2HP pump will not move as much water as a 2.5 HP pump. That could reduce the flow from the water jets in the spa. Everything other than the spa jets would be fine.

2) The pentair gets wired directly to the breaker (if practical, or the line side of the relay if not practical). You then connect a data cable (should come with the pump) to a comm port on the PDA main control box, and finally configure the software so it knows to look for the pump.

Thank you very much.

Does anyone know if it allows you to set speeds depending on whats happening? Like low speed just for filtration running the SWG, then a higher speed to run the laminar jets when they are turned on and a higher speed when the pool heater is turned on and a full speed when the spa is turned on? From what I understand, using the intellicom or ecotech motor with the intellicom module allows that.

Yes, the AquaLink allows you to set specific RPMs for up to eight different modes (pool, spa, cleaner, spillover, pool heat, spa heat, solar heat, and inflow cleaning) when a data cable is attached. It does this without using any relays. Some of the modes are tied to their named function, others can be repurposed to be used for different things.

An IntelliComm 2 lets you set up to four speeds, each speed requires the use of a relay on the AquaLink (4 speeds means 4 relays), it costs extra, and the wiring and setup is a little more complex.

Yes, the AquaLink allows you to set specific RPMs for up to eight different modes (pool, spa, cleaner, spillover, pool heat, spa heat, solar heat, and inflow cleaning) when a data cable is attached. It does this without using any relays. Some of the modes are tied to their named function, others can be repurposed to be used for different things.

An IntelliComm 2 lets you set up to four speeds, each speed requires the use of a relay on the AquaLink (4 speeds means 4 relays), it costs extra, and the wiring and setup is a little more complex.

So would it work when I need it to up the flow for the laminar jets? I don't see that listed. The other ones would be great. My understanding with the intellicom or similar device for the ecotech ez motor is that you still wire the pump direct like any variable speed and then you just tap into the appropriate place for the speed you want.

Yes, you can setup a speed for the laminar jets. You will need to repurpose one of the existing modes and assign it to the laminar jets.

With an IntelliComm2 you still wire the pump directly to the breaker, but program the AquaLink to think it has a two speed pump, and then use additional relays for additional speeds. The actual speeds are set on the pump.

I haven't seen an external control compatible model of the EchoTech EZ variable speed for sale yet. According to the manual it will work very similarly to the IntelliComm2.

Yes, you can setup a speed for the laminar jets. You will need to repurpose one of the existing modes and assign it to the laminar jets.

With an IntelliComm2 you still wire the pump directly to the breaker, but program the AquaLink to think it has a two speed pump, and then use additional relays for additional speeds. The actual speeds are set on the pump.

I haven't seen an external control compatible model of the EchoTech EZ variable speed for sale yet. According to the manual it will work very similarly to the IntelliComm2.

There is a box for the ecotech EZ that is basically identical to the intellicomm although not all that easy to find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.