Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter operation

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter operation

Why has the DE started to clump?filter trbl.jpg I'm running an in-ground, plaster pool in the back yard, approximately 20 X 40, 27000 gallons; for several years after moving in I had no trouble (other than the usual) in cleaning my DE filter grids. Last year I replaced the manifold and grids, and now I continually get what looks like DE clumping on the top of the manifold. I'm looking for suggestions on trouble shooting this. My filter is Nautilus DE Model NS-36 Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter operation

Hi Keith,
    welcome to TFP.

there are lots of reasons this could happen. Most notably chemicals. There are all sorts of pool products on the market that can and will clog up filters.

Also, imporper water balance provides a possiblity of calcium deposits in filters.

So ultimately, I would think that something you are putting in the water is causing this issue which is chemically reacting with other stuff and clogging up your DE. As a note, Phosphate Remover seems to be somewhat notorious for clogging filters.

Us here at TFP use a regimen of water management that only allows for minimal additons of chemicals and only when accurate testing of the water shows what the water actually needs. And we base our methodology on science and chemistry instead of the sales pitch from chemical makers and other folks like pool stores that have financial interest in the mix. As a result, us TFPers dont have experiences like yours.

If you are interested in having a TroubleFreePool with minimal expense and effort, then click on the Pool School button at the top of the page. There is a ton of great info available.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Another possibility is using too much DE. If you use too much DE the excess tends to settle in certain spots inside the filter and build up there. Once it gets mixed with some organic debris caught in the filter and then has time to settle it can form a fairly solid mass. We have seen much worse than that, filters where the entire inside of the filter was one solid block of DE.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks - I have been careful with how much DE I put in - I will review that aspect again. I have not been as careful about cleaning the filter grids - just rinsing thoroughly - so I'm going to try to learn more about how the pool chemistry could be a contributor to the problem.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chemistry is the key Keith,

Click on the Pool School Button to start and begin with the ABCs....

There is a lot of info in there and its a lot to try and grasp ... obvously no one will expect you to learn it all instantly, so feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be glad to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith F54 View Post
    Thanks - I have been careful with how much DE I put in - I will review that aspect again. I have not been as careful about cleaning the filter grids - just rinsing thoroughly - so I'm going to try to learn more about how the pool chemistry could be a contributor to the problem.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you only backwash, you should only recharge with about 80% of the full DE amount or you may overload the filter. Backwashing is not very thorough. At least once a year you should fully disassemble the filter for a very good cleaning, then recharge with the full amount.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If you only backwash, you should only recharge with about 80% of the full DE amount or you may overload the filter. Backwashing is not very thorough. At least once a year you should fully disassemble the filter for a very good cleaning, then recharge with the full amount.
    I rarely backwash, just because I've never found that to be very effective. I always break down the filter grid and give the whole assembly a good rinse, then start with fresh DE. Last year I probably went through the routine 3 or 4 times, especially since the clumping problem was so consistent. Thanks for the interest.

8. Back To Top    #8

How much de do you use? What size pump do you have?