Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool pump running dry?

1. Back To Top    #1

pool pump running dry?

hi all, the other day i turned my equipment 'on' during the day and went inside. When i returned to the shed, i noticed that the sand filter was running 'loud.' I had a look and the psi was at around 2 on the gauge, it's usually on 10-12 on the gauge when things are running smoothly. I backwashed, problem fixed. What worries me is that when the filter was running with low pressure, there wasn't a lot of water going through the pump. My pump didn't shut off, it didn't detect 'low flow,' there definitely was low flow. It got me asking, 'how long was it running for like this?'

my second query. When my pump starts, sometimes it runs a little dry for 2-3 seconds and then the water gushes in and all is good. Do you think this is because on the multiport valve inlets/outlets I have not yet put teflon tape and maybe a little bit of air is coming in?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: pool pump running dry?

It is certainly because air is getting from somewhere. That said, 2-3 seconds is virtually nothing to be concerned about as long as it finally primes.

You could do some detective work and maybe find that air leak.....I think because it is so small and the pump primes readily, I would let it go.

PS - backwashing should have had nothing to do with your pump not priming, which was the problem.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School