jaycf7

Feb 10, 2015
Texas
Just got a house with an above ground doughboy and it looks like this!
I know NOTHING about it at all!!!!
Should i drain and start over, or can i revive it back to life without doing that......i dont even know how to turn on the filter much less hook up the hoses, or how many gallons it is!pump.jpgpool2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The hoses are actually pretty easy. That big white box on the side of your pool is your skimmer basket. Water goes in there from your pool. It needs a hose from the bottom of it to the intake on your pump. Then from the output of your pump to the input of your big sand filter (that black ball looking thing). You could possibly need new sand. If you read on here, there is a video somewhere where they show you how to clean your sand filter with a water hose. It would at least buy you some time until you figure our if you need a new liner or steps, or whatever you might need.

Once you get your skimmer hooked to the pump and pump hooked to the filter, take your last hose and hook the output of the filter to the return plug on your pool. It looks like that black hose on top of your skimmer might be hooked to the return already.

Thats the basics of the plumbing.

Thanks guys. I am out of town this weekend and Sunday will start to play with the pump and plumbing. Its good to know it is a sand filter because from what i have learned that is good. Any guess as to how many gallons the pool is. I really don't want to have to drain and start over for fear of buying a new liner and cost of refiling!

Thanks again. I will post some more pictures when i get a chance. Maybe you guys can walk me through this and i can post as i go and help someone else out one day.

We can certainly help you through this if you have questions. We hope that you take the time and read over the excellent articles provided to you here in Pool School so when something is suggested, you're not drawing a blank. I'd highly recommend the ABC's of pool water chemistry.

That's a pretty nice pool you have. Keep the water, SLAM IT n become a believer.

Welcome to to TFP !
You've gotten some good advice from the folks above.
I just want to reinforce to take the time and read the articles in Pool School that have been suggested. It's a lot of info but after a couple of read thru's it'll make sense.
Do invest in one of the recommended test kits. You won't be able to clear this pool without one using the methods from the forum. Small investment to make, as to comparing what the pool store would want to charge to clear this up with their chemicals.
When you have questions don't hesitate to ask !

Look around and see if there is a pool rake. It looks like a fine mesh net that attaches to a long pole. Use it to scoop out any debris on the bottom of the pool before you do anything else. Then fill the pool to at least 1/2 way up the skimmer opening and re-connect the hoses.

Open up the sand filter and give it a good deep cleaning before you hook it up to the pool. It has likely never been deep cleaned, and this will also give you the chance to inspect the spider gasket on the multiport valve in case it needs replacing. It doesn't show in your picture but the multiport valve is on the top of the sand filter and has a lever that allows you to switch from filter to backwash, rinse, ect. The spider gasket is on the underside of the multiport valve and should be completely adhered to the valve and not show signs of damage or wear, such as stretching. If it is good use a little silicon pool lube on the gasket to help it operate smoothly.

Check the pump as well. Open the lid on the pot strainer basket and clean it out if needed, then put pool lube on the pot strainer basket lid's o-ring and put it back on.

Check and see if you have a pool vacuum head, vacuum hose, and a vacuum plate. You may be able to do without a vacuum plate, but you absolutely need the other two pieces to vacuum the pool!

Feel free to ask any questions and post pictures of any equipment you don't understand. We are here to help! Welcome to TFP!

Thanks! I bought a test kit yesterday and had PLANNED on looking at all the equipment laying around as well as check the pump and filter today however the weather is cold and nasty. Hopefully by the end of the week i will be more INTO the project weather permitting!

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The very first thing I would do is remove those rocks that are on the top rail. You don't want one falling in and ripping the liner. Then remove the rock from the skimmer cover. You don't want the extra weight on there. That particular skimmer lid has a "lock" on it, just slide the lid backward and the little plastic nub will lock in in place. If you ever have to call Doughboy to order parts, the name of your pool is Desert Spring, resin framed. Looks like it's 16x28, that would put you at aprox 12,600 gallons. When you vacuum, there is a round port under the skimmer (in the pool), you'll need the Doughboy vacuum hose adapter to connect the hose to the port. After connecting the hose, remove the skimmer lid and place the lid inside the skimmer (with pump on), the lid will get "sucked" down. This creates a seal and the water is sucked through the round port. To remove the lid, you'll have to turn the pump off. It really makes a strong seal.

yes i saw it and have ordered it. In the mean time i wanted one to just play around with while i am waiting on the onther one in the mail.

thanks for all the help guys, as soon as it stops raining here----supposidly the 45th of juvember i will be able to work outside

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.