Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding acid for first time tomorrow, a few questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

adding acid for first time tomorrow, a few questions...

so i've been reading and watching videos pretty much all night to prepare for this, just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure i do it right and don't kill myself or the pool in the process...

1) recommended way to do it seems to be to pour it slowly from just above the water surface in front of a return jet in the deep end, right?

2) does it matter whether my filter valve is on skimmer or main drain? right now i have it halfway, that's where the pool builder left it when they finished the pool...

3) should i take my auto pool vac out while adding acid?

first-time pool owner and i feel like i have so much to learn...i've been trying to read as much as i can but it's kinda overwhelming at the moment!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding acid for first time tomorrow, a few questions...

Welcome to TFP!

1) Yes that is correct, with the pump running during the addition and for at least 30 minutes afterwards.

2) For acid it doesn't matter. In general half way is usually the best position.

3) Removing the vac is recommended, but not required for all chemical additions. You definitely want it out if you are SLAMing the pool. Otherwise it makes only a minuscule difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Cracker,
    Welcome to TFP. Dont worry, pool care isnt as hard as it may seem to you right now.

the process you posted is spot on.
    Pour it slowly in front of a return. You can pour a little in front of each return .. .spread it around a bit so it doesnt concentrate in one spot.

Skimmer/ Drain is fine as it is.

recommend to remove the vac....

Good luck!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm guessing that this might be a new plaster startup. If it is, remember to brush the pool at least once per day. Brushing after adding the acid is a good idea.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

The only thing I can add to what's been said is to wear old clothes and pay attention to which way the wind is blowing so you don't breathe the fumes. You'll never splash bleach or acid on yourself unless it can destroy your good clothes, and once you get a whiff of acid fumes, you won't make that mistake again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use a 5 gallon bucket filled half way or so with pool water and pour acid into that and then pour into pool in front of return slowly. Less fumes this way. Always with the pump running then brush.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure you are upwind from the acid bottle. Acid fumes blown into your face is not pleasant.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

good afternoon, all! just did this (finally, a week later), wasn't nearly as bad as i expected...although i did take precautions - mask, goggles, and gloves on, hose right next to me. acid was poured about an hour ago and the pool brushed immediately to disperse it, pump has been on high since just prior to adding the acid...how long do i wait before testing the water again? pool store said don't do anything for at least four hours - does that mean around 5pm i can take another sample?

how long does it take for the water to be safe to be in?

9. Back To Top    #9

If added as we recommend, you can retest after half an hour after adding muriatic acid.

Generally it is 1/2 hour for liquid chemicals, a full hour for most solid (powdered/granular/etc) chemicals, a week for solid cyanuric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Four hours is over kill to the extreme. Thirty minutes after adding liquid Chems like bleach and acid are adequate for testing or swimming, provided the system is circulating. I prefer to give an hour for testing but that is just OCD on my part.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I pour it in at the return then jump straight in at the other end and do some laps, mixes it all up very well, so 30 mins like the others said would be fine.
    7700 Gallon Bestway 22ft Vinyl, Zodiac Clearwater 170 SWG, Sand Filter, Hand Vacuum, Borates.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus345 View Post
    I pour it in at the return then jump straight in at the other end and do some laps, mixes it all up very well, so 30 mins like the others said would be fine.
    Quick mix.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    Quick mix.
    That's it, gives you a nice tingle and white hair if you swim too fast haha
    7700 Gallon Bestway 22ft Vinyl, Zodiac Clearwater 170 SWG, Sand Filter, Hand Vacuum, Borates.