Unusual Freezing Temps

Feb 19, 2015
York
Hello All,

This is my first post. My pool was installed in November and filled up in December. I live in SC and have a 16,000 gallon pool. I have freeze protection set to 38°. I have a 3600ppm salt level. Temps this week have been COLD. Tonight it's supposed to get into single digits and the pump has been running all day. Tomorrow's high is 39°. Do I need to be concerned? :confused:

Hi Welcome to TFP,
If it were me, I would wrap something like old towels, or old blanket around the above ground pipes. A put a tarp over the pump and filter, and put work light, under the tarp to give it a little heat.

Better safe than sorry.

We rarely get into single digits, but we got to 9 last year along with 3 or 4 days with highs in the 20s and we had no issues, other than being COLD. Not even ice on the pool surface. We've had plenty of temps in the 20 and upper teens with no issues ever. I think because we don't have sustained periods of cold that the ground and gunite don't get cold enough to freeze. Probably the same in SC.

No issues! Everything is running smoothly. Water temp is 36° and climbing!

Not fast enough!!

We did have a power outage once a couple of years ago for about 36 hours. Lots of stuff froze and it sucked a lot. But, we thawed it out and everything worked fine. Nothing you can do about that though. That light bulb under the tarp is not gonna help any!!! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right! Which is why under those type of conditions the only way to truly protect the equipment and plumbing is to drain it of water.

But it does prove that freezing does not always cause damage. In fact, in most cases it won't cause damage unless it freezes in a particular order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.