Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unusual Freezing Temps

1. Back To Top    #1

Unusual Freezing Temps

Hello All,

This is my first post. My pool was installed in November and filled up in December. I live in SC and have a 16,000 gallon pool. I have freeze protection set to 38. I have a 3600ppm salt level. Temps this week have been COLD. Tonight it's supposed to get into single digits and the pump has been running all day. Tomorrow's high is 39. Do I need to be concerned?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unusual Freezing Temps

About plumbing freezing? No.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent! Anything else I need to be concerned with?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Welcome to TFP,
    If it were me, I would wrap something like old towels, or old blanket around the above ground pipes. A put a tarp over the pump and filter, and put work light, under the tarp to give it a little heat.

Better safe than sorry.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

The automatic freeze protection can and does fail. As Dave suggested, tarp the equipment and put a light bulb underneath. Better yet, just drain the above ground plumbing.

This thread might be of some interest:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...eze-Protection
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

We rarely get into single digits, but we got to 9 last year along with 3 or 4 days with highs in the 20s and we had no issues, other than being COLD. Not even ice on the pool surface. We've had plenty of temps in the 20 and upper teens with no issues ever. I think because we don't have sustained periods of cold that the ground and gunite don't get cold enough to freeze. Probably the same in SC.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

It's too late and too cold to drain the above ground plumbing. I did wrap the plumbing with some towels. I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow!

8. Back To Top    #8

Better hope for no power outage
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

No issues! Everything is running smoothly. Water temp is 36 and climbing!
    16,000 Gallon 450sq ft Freeform Sport Pool (3.5' - 5.5' - 4') - Sheer Descent - Exposed Beam - Greystone Coping - Aqua Blue PebbleSheen - Jandy Pro Plus HP Pump - Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter - Nature2 Fusion Soft

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jhawk19 View Post
    No issues! Everything is running smoothly. Water temp is 36 and climbing!
    Not fast enough!!

We did have a power outage once a couple of years ago for about 36 hours. Lots of stuff froze and it sucked a lot. But, we thawed it out and everything worked fine. Nothing you can do about that though. That light bulb under the tarp is not gonna help any!!!
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Right! Which is why under those type of conditions the only way to truly protect the equipment and plumbing is to drain it of water.

But it does prove that freezing does not always cause damage. In fact, in most cases it won't cause damage unless it freezes in a particular order.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you guys. Great information. Happy to be here.
    16,000 Gallon 450sq ft Freeform Sport Pool (3.5' - 5.5' - 4') - Sheer Descent - Exposed Beam - Greystone Coping - Aqua Blue PebbleSheen - Jandy Pro Plus HP Pump - Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter - Nature2 Fusion Soft

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jhawk19 View Post
    Thank you guys. Great information. Happy to be here.
    Well I'm happy that I'm not there. It's was 75 and sunny here today. I was just out cleaning my filter and getting the pool ready for summer.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit