New Pentair 5g Intellibrite installed and doesn't work?

I bought a Pentair 5g 12v light (even though I have a 120v circuit) for my pool. My electrician came out and installed a transformer to lower the voltage to the light. I wasn't home when any of this work was being done. He called me and said the light must be bad because it simply isn't working. When I got home, I smelled the faint scent of electrical smoke.

My question is, will these lights blow if you turn them on with no water in the pool? My pool is currently drained for cleaning and I left it drained for him to finish his work.

2nd question is, can I simply test the light to make sure it isn't a problem at my circuit breaker box?

Welcome to TFP!

The light can overheat if left on for some time without water, but is fine for short periods.

The only test that is easy to do is to measure the voltage at the junction box to make sure the light is getting 12 volts. Before doing that, I would disconnect the light at the junction box (with the power off) and then test the voltage on the line coming from the equipment pat when the light is "turned on" (leaving it disconnected). If the voltage is zero, something is wrong with the wiring. If it is 12 volts, something is wrong with the light, and if it is 120 volts something is wrong with the electrician.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.