Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pentair 5g Intellibrite installed and doesn't work?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pentair 5g Intellibrite installed and doesn't work?

I bought a Pentair 5g 12v light (even though I have a 120v circuit) for my pool. My electrician came out and installed a transformer to lower the voltage to the light. I wasn't home when any of this work was being done. He called me and said the light must be bad because it simply isn't working. When I got home, I smelled the faint scent of electrical smoke.

My question is, will these lights blow if you turn them on with no water in the pool? My pool is currently drained for cleaning and I left it drained for him to finish his work.

2nd question is, can I simply test the light to make sure it isn't a problem at my circuit breaker box?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pentair 5g Intellibrite installed and doesn't work?

Welcome to TFP!

The light can overheat if left on for some time without water, but is fine for short periods.

The only test that is easy to do is to measure the voltage at the junction box to make sure the light is getting 12 volts. Before doing that, I would disconnect the light at the junction box (with the power off) and then test the voltage on the line coming from the equipment pat when the light is "turned on" (leaving it disconnected). If the voltage is zero, something is wrong with the wiring. If it is 12 volts, something is wrong with the light, and if it is 120 volts something is wrong with the electrician.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response!

I bought this light on Ebay from someone. Hopefully it isn't the light.

Anyone know if Pentair will honor their warranty if the light was purchased on Ebay?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We left an intellibrite running in our office for over a month with no issues.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say that its very doubtful. in order for them to honor a warranty I believe you have to register the product first.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

6. Back To Top    #6

We have had mixed reports on warranty repairs on eBay purchases. Some of the time they do honor the warranty and sometimes they do not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School