Breaker trips

TKD

Feb 19, 2015
Jennings, La.
Hey Guys,
I am new to the site. I have read several threads about tripped breakers but my problem seems a little different and I am looking to see if anyone else has had the same problem. When I turn my main pump on by hand or by timer, it comes on and runs for about 10 sec and then kicks 20A breaker off. I reset the breaker and it will run forever. It is just the initial start up. The pump is about a year and a half old. Please help.

What pump are you running? Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How far from the breaker to the pump?
What gauge wire is used?

Wonder if a failing start capacitor could cause this? I am not sure .. out of my league :D

Another breaker probably won't help. Is the pump old? Maybe it is starting to seize up and is overdrawing power on start up and once it is going it is OK.

Once you reset the breaker it has to start up again but still runs ok? Maybe you have something else on that breaker programmed in on start up? Is it a gfi breaker? Maybe a loose wire somewhere? Replacing the breaker is not likely to help. It is doing its job if it's tripping. Are you handy? Do you know how to use an ammeter?

Not sure what your asking. Equimpment is inside shop.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a GFI breaker, I will check for loose wire on the pump. It trips breaker everytime temp is below 50 on the first time. It also trips 80% of the time if temp is 60 or above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thanks dumbcluck. Sorry, thats funny.
I will check that this afternoon when I get home. I probably will have to hire someone to do the ammeter to be sure it's done correctly.

TKD, using an ammeter is one of the easiest things in the world. it is basically just a gauge with two probes, red and black.

They are cheap and i think you can even rent them from hardware stores.

Below is a video showing the process of using an ammeter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc3EQGZowk

If your not comfortable or familiar with the use of a multimeter, I wouldn't recommend using one, certainly not for direct connect current measurements on power level circuits (inductive pickup testing would be much safer and easier, but they're not cheap). If improperly set up, you can be very easily damage the meter, and if it's a rental, you'll pay through the nose to get it fixed.

TKD, using an ammeter is one of the easiest things in the world. it is basically just a gauge with two probes, red and black.

They are cheap and i think you can even rent them from hardware stores.

Below is a video showing the process of using an ammeter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc3EQGZowk

I think you're referring to a multimeter... Ammeters usually just clamp around a wire to measure amperage... No probes necessary

Yes. An ammeter goes around the wire. No need to touch any live wires. You just want to see how many amps it's drawing on start up.
An induction type tester is like a little wand that just tells you if you have voltage or not. You already know you have voltage.

There is a good chance that your motor does not have a capacitor start. Look on top of the motor and see if it has a hump back. If not you do not have a capacitor which I am guessing you do not. What you have is a centrifugal switch in the back of the motor. The contacts on this switch will get dirty or gassed up and will not make contact. Or the switch will not slide on the shaft. If is an easy fix. If you will remove about 3 screws from the back cover of the motor you will find this switch. Use find sand paper to clean the contact much like you would points on a car or water well pressure switch. The make sure that the switch moves on the shaft frely. If not you need to lube it, I would not recommend anything greasy or oily. Graphite will work best. This motor works much like a capacitor start, The capacitor starts the motor turning and then the run windings will kick in. This motor will start to run but if the centrifugal switch does not make contact your motor will not get up to full speed which will cause it to overlaod and trip your breaker. I hope this is of help to you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.