Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaker trips

1. Back To Top    #1

Breaker trips

Hey Guys,
    I am new to the site. I have read several threads about tripped breakers but my problem seems a little different and I am looking to see if anyone else has had the same problem. When I turn my main pump on by hand or by timer, it comes on and runs for about 10 sec and then kicks 20A breaker off. I reset the breaker and it will run forever. It is just the initial start up. The pump is about a year and a half old. Please help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Breaker trips

Welcome to TFP!!!

Odd that it trips once and then will stay running ... maybe the breaker is going bad? It is rare, but possible.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi everyone,
    I changed the breaker and it does the same thing.
    Maybe I got a bad one, will try another one. Any other ideas?

4. Back To Top    #4

What pump are you running? Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How far from the breaker to the pump?
    What gauge wire is used?

Wonder if a failing start capacitor could cause this? I am not sure .. out of my league
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will have to check the brand of pump and the gauge of wire. All the pool equipment is inside my shop about 15 ft from breaker box.
    38,000 Gals, IG, Plaster, Cartridge Filter, 1 1/2 hp main pump, smaller polaris pump,

6. Back To Top    #6

Another breaker probably won't help. Is the pump old? Maybe it is starting to seize up and is overdrawing power on start up and once it is going it is OK.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump is only a year and a half old.
    38,000 Gals, IG, Plaster, Cartridge Filter, 1 1/2 hp main pump, smaller polaris pump,

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TKD View Post
    I will have to check the brand of pump and the gauge of wire. All the pool equipment is inside my shop about 15 ft from breaker box.
    So, nothing running underground between the breaker and the pump?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Once you reset the breaker it has to start up again but still runs ok? Maybe you have something else on that breaker programmed in on start up? Is it a gfi breaker? Maybe a loose wire somewhere? Replacing the breaker is not likely to help. It is doing its job if it's tripping. Are you handy? Do you know how to use an ammeter?
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what your asking. Equimpment is inside shop.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a GFI breaker, I will check for loose wire on the pump. It trips breaker everytime temp is below 50 on the first time. It also trips 80% of the time if temp is 60 or above.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Not sure what your asking. Equimpment is inside shop.

- - - Updated - - -
    Was wondering if there is any underground wire from the breaker to the pump. Being inside I assume there is none. Does the breaker trip on over current or on ground fault. Some GFCI's you can not tell, others you can.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

I am not sure what the difference is.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it starts up perfect and doesn't ever trip the breaker again. I am very handy with everything except electrical.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you had an ammeter you could check the amperage on start up.
    Also check for loose wires in panel including neutral from breaker to neutral bar.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok thanks dumbcluck. Sorry, thats funny.
    I will check that this afternoon when I get home. I probably will have to hire someone to do the ammeter to be sure it's done correctly.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Ok thanks dumbcluck. Sorry, thats funny.
    I will check that this afternoon when I get home. I probably will have to hire someone to do the ammeter to be sure it's done correctly.
    TKD, using an ammeter is one of the easiest things in the world. it is basically just a gauge with two probes, red and black.

They are cheap and i think you can even rent them from hardware stores.

Below is a video showing the process of using an ammeter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc3EQGZowk

16. Back To Top    #16

If your not comfortable or familiar with the use of a multimeter, I wouldn't recommend using one, certainly not for direct connect current measurements on power level circuits (inductive pickup testing would be much safer and easier, but they're not cheap). If improperly set up, you can be very easily damage the meter, and if it's a rental, you'll pay through the nose to get it fixed.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Citizen. It doesn't look too hard but I think I might just call someone to come over to look at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks gtemkin. I was just never good at electrical so I think I will take your advice.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    TKD, using an ammeter is one of the easiest things in the world. it is basically just a gauge with two probes, red and black.

They are cheap and i think you can even rent them from hardware stores.

Below is a video showing the process of using an ammeter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc3EQGZowk

I think you're referring to a multimeter... Ammeters usually just clamp around a wire to measure amperage... No probes necessary

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes. An ammeter goes around the wire. No need to touch any live wires. You just want to see how many amps it's drawing on start up.
    An induction type tester is like a little wand that just tells you if you have voltage or not. You already know you have voltage.

20. Back To Top    #20

There is a good chance that your motor does not have a capacitor start. Look on top of the motor and see if it has a hump back. If not you do not have a capacitor which I am guessing you do not. What you have is a centrifugal switch in the back of the motor. The contacts on this switch will get dirty or gassed up and will not make contact. Or the switch will not slide on the shaft. If is an easy fix. If you will remove about 3 screws from the back cover of the motor you will find this switch. Use find sand paper to clean the contact much like you would points on a car or water well pressure switch. The make sure that the switch moves on the shaft frely. If not you need to lube it, I would not recommend anything greasy or oily. Graphite will work best. This motor works much like a capacitor start, The capacitor starts the motor turning and then the run windings will kick in. This motor will start to run but if the centrifugal switch does not make contact your motor will not get up to full speed which will cause it to overlaod and trip your breaker. I hope this is of help to you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast