Wood platform for salt water pool

Feb 10, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hello,

I'm moving to a home with a salt water pool and will use it extensively for hydrotherapy for my German Shepherd. That means he needs a platform to stand on when not swimming. This might sound a little strange, but I have a coffee table that's the perfect height to keep his legs underwater when standing on it, but his upper body above the water line. I'm hoping to use the table as it would be tough to create my own platform with more salt-water-resistant materials given the specific height requirements I want.

My question is what type of damage might the salt water cause and how quickly (the table is heavy enough it isn't practical to take it in and out)?

Also, does anyone know of a wood treatment that might prevent, or at least slow down, corrosion but won't contaminate the pool?

Thanks!

Jonesy

Real wood, especially hard wood like oak or maple, will hold up reasonably well under water. Probably better if you leave it it in than if you you take it out. But, big BUT, is that coffee table solid wood? Or is it particle board with veneer or laminate? If it is particle board it will swell up and disintegrate quickly. Teak or ipe will hold up well also. If you are going to make something you could use a composite decking material. Use water proof glue and stainless steel screws or ceramic coated screws.

If it's solid wood it will last under brackish water for maybe hundreds of years, especially if it is something like oak. If you're ever in Sweden check out the Vasa, an amazing ship that was underwater for hundreds of years and has now been salvaged and put on display. If you want to build a table that will last underwater make one out of Turpentine.

As a VERY broad based answer, wood does not rot underwater much at all.

The glue will come loose, the steel screws will rust and laminate will de-laminate.

The advice above for stainless screws and solid wood will all outlast your needs if you keep it in the pool.

The only concern I would have is with the non-organic parts of the coffee table, e.g. nails/screws/glue, varnish, stain, etc. Any real wood will be fine. Any components that are not wood could rust, dissolve into your pool water, or otherwise create havoc. If you find that it stays together and that you don't see colors leaching out into your pool water, then it might work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.