Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wood platform for salt water pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Wood platform for salt water pool

Hello,

I'm moving to a home with a salt water pool and will use it extensively for hydrotherapy for my German Shepherd. That means he needs a platform to stand on when not swimming. This might sound a little strange, but I have a coffee table that's the perfect height to keep his legs underwater when standing on it, but his upper body above the water line. I'm hoping to use the table as it would be tough to create my own platform with more salt-water-resistant materials given the specific height requirements I want.

My question is what type of damage might the salt water cause and how quickly (the table is heavy enough it isn't practical to take it in and out)?

Also, does anyone know of a wood treatment that might prevent, or at least slow down, corrosion but won't contaminate the pool?

Thanks!

Jonesy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wood platform for salt water pool

Real wood, especially hard wood like oak or maple, will hold up reasonably well under water. Probably better if you leave it it in than if you you take it out. But, big BUT, is that coffee table solid wood? Or is it particle board with veneer or laminate? If it is particle board it will swell up and disintegrate quickly. Teak or ipe will hold up well also. If you are going to make something you could use a composite decking material. Use water proof glue and stainless steel screws or ceramic coated screws.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's solid wood it will last under brackish water for maybe hundreds of years, especially if it is something like oak. If you're ever in Sweden check out the Vasa, an amazing ship that was underwater for hundreds of years and has now been salvaged and put on display. If you want to build a table that will last underwater make one out of Turpentine.
    7700 Gallon Bestway 22ft Vinyl, Zodiac Clearwater 170 SWG, Sand Filter, Hand Vacuum, Borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

To make it last better, coating it in epoxy would be the preferred approach...works well on sailboats
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

As a VERY broad based answer, wood does not rot underwater much at all.

The glue will come loose, the steel screws will rust and laminate will de-laminate.

The advice above for stainless screws and solid wood will all outlast your needs if you keep it in the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The only concern I would have is with the non-organic parts of the coffee table, e.g. nails/screws/glue, varnish, stain, etc. Any real wood will be fine. Any components that are not wood could rust, dissolve into your pool water, or otherwise create havoc. If you find that it stays together and that you don't see colors leaching out into your pool water, then it might work.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Solid Redwood with high quality SS screws/hardware would out last you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, guys! I feel pretty good about it now as it is solid wood. There are some metal components but I can remove them without damaging the table integrity.