Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach to Salt Water effect on Plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach to Salt Water effect on Plaster

Hi I manage a 120 unit complex and have 2 -34,000 pools ,the board is thinking about going from bleach to SWG, will that effect the plaster in anyway? Thanks Woody99

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Bleach to Salt Water effect on Plaster

Saltwater should not affect the plaster so long as you reasonably maintain the water chemistry levels that are slightly different at higher salt levels. Basically, you need a slightly higher pH, TA, and/or CH. The difference in the calcite saturation index is that the SWG pool has it around -0.2 lower than a typical non-SWG pool which is why you need minor adjustments to the water parameters.

The bigger issue for the higher salt level would be splash-out if you have soft stone around the pool. If you have cement or hard stone (i.e. that doesn't absorb much water), then you should be fine. With soft stone, you may need to have it regularly sealed to reduce the likelihood of damage.

Also, if you have an automatic cover with an aluminum header bar that is immersed in the water, you may need to attach a wire to it (or to the bonding wire that should be connected to it) and connect this to a sacrificial zinc anode buried in moist soil. This is to prevent metal corrosion.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Re: Bleach to Salt Water effect on Plaster

Woody, please make sure your pool builder sizes the salt system properly, and per Department of health guidelines.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators