Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you leave your robot cleaner in all the time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Irvine, CA

Do you leave your robot cleaner in all the time?

Hi Guys,
    I have an old hayward suction side cleaner that looks to be on it's last leg. I want to upgrade to a more energy efficient robot cleaner.
    I was looking at getting a Dolphin Nautilus or Triton cleaner and was wondering how everybody handles the cleaning process.
    Do you guys only put it in when needed then take it and store it? It seems that would just be a hassle and I'd get lazy or forget to do it.
    Can you put a timer on these things and have them run once a day for like 2 hours and leave them in all the time?
    Just wondering what everybody's preference is.
    16 x 36 IG Pool & Spa with Pebbletec. 3' - 8' deep.
    Aqualink RS 4 Controller, Pentair 2hp pump, Pentair 400k btu heater, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Do you leave your robot cleaner in all the time?

I dont leave mine in all the time, but I have forgotten about it and it stayed in for a couple of days with no problem.

I suspect however that if your chemistry is out of whack for a long time, then there may be some downside to it.

The timer idea wont work. At least for a Nautilus or Triton (both which are excellent cleaners). The robots have a time cycle in them. You turn them on, and when the time cycle is done, (about 3 hours) they turn themselves off. They will not come back on until you push the ON button again.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Do you leave your robot cleaner in all the time?

As Dave said, they have their own timers. In summer I take mine out when we swim usually, but I've left mine in for a few weeks this winter with no ill effects. They have weekly schedules built in, so the mfgr apparently expects them to be left in for some extended periods. I have the Dolphin M5.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr