Beth S. - new to TFP

Feb 13, 2015
San Marcos CA
Hi!
We bought a house about 6 years ago with a pool. For a while we had a pool guy, but decided we were paying way too much for how little he actually did especially since we stopped using the non-attached-to-the-pool spa. My husband took care of most of it, including taking the water to the pool store for testing once a month.

Fast forward- we just had the pool replastered, and I WFH...so the pool has become my responsibility. Thus, I am here- reading everything I can to make sure our investment in new plaster is not wasted.

The builder's pool guy's last visit was two days ago. I tested the water today. I was surprised to see PH of 7.2. I thought the continued plaster dust would make it higher. And when I tested for TH, the water didn't turn red at all, but was a light urine yellow color.

I'm still brushing twice a day, since we just filled a week ago. New vacuum head should be here tomorrow, since we can't use the roller or the robot for 30 days. And the new filter arrived yesterday-- waiting until we vacuum a couple more times before we replace that since we are still at 12-16% on the filter reading. Just been washing it this last week. And we are not running the SWG nor have we added salt yet; three more weeks before we can do that.

If you respond to this, remember, I'm new to this, so don't talk technical. ;)

Thanks for all this information!
Beth

Welcome to TFP Beth,

You're certainly moving in the right direction learning and testing your own pool. A pH of 7.2 could be there if they have been adjusting, especially if they did an acid start up. In any case, 7.2 isn't a problem. Just out of curiosity, can we ask which test kit you are using?

Hi Beth, and welcome to TFP! Remember that scene from the movie Grease where the girls have a sleepover: Brusha brusha brusha :) :) :) :) Keep brushing that plaster dust around , preferably toward the drain so it gets sucked into the filter.

Give this article a quick read and you will be an expert in pool water chemistry in no time: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Hi, and thank you all for the welcome.

I am using a standard OTO test kit, but purchased a DPD kit yesterday to test for FC when I realized the OTO was only testing TC.

Pool store guy tried to get me to buy PhosFree, since I took my water in when I went to get the kit (and a new air gap for the filter). I said I'd be back if I needed it, and came straight to TFP to read up. I have that article bookmarked! Thanks, zethacat!

Alas, I am back to the pool store this morning because my CYA level is reading 30 for me, 0 for the pool store reading; FC of 2.

I'm getting there- and will just keep learning.

Thanks again!

Hi Beth,

Sounds like you're doing great!
If you are serious about protecting your investment in the new plaster, then you absolutely should not trust the pool store for either testing your water or their recommendations. Their test results in general, are notoriously incorrect.

Get your own reliable test kit and test your own water and so you dont hvae to continually keep going to the pool store.
www.tftestkits.net Most of us here at TFP use the TF100. Its the best bang for the buck.
You pool will love you for it and it will be the best investment you can make for your pool.

Tested FC today at 2 and Ph at 7.5 after brushing. Added 1/2 of recommended stabilizer to raise CYA. Will run filter 2 more hours and test that to see if I need to add other half.

I only had Leslie test since I was going there to get air gap kit and stabilizer. I really wanted to see how their test would compare with mine, and to see what extraneous chemicals I would be recommended to buy. I half listened to him sell some other guy some things I'm sure he didn't need, but I didn't have an opportunity to name drop TFP. Too bad for that other guy.

I've been searching the forum, and reading LOTS! I wasn't confident before, but I'm getting there. So happy there's a great resource for me if I run into problems. Right now, I'm just testing, brushing, and recording everything in a notebook so I can keep track.

Thanks TFP members!

HI Beth,
It takes several days for CYA to register on a test if you used granules. There is just something wierd about it like that.
So dont be surprised if the level hasnt risen yet.
No harm in giving it a few days and then test again and if needed, adjust your CYA a bit more then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support