Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy from Ohio

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy from Ohio

Hello All

Im a new guy and new pool owner. My wife and I just bought a house that has a 5 year old salt water pool. Its a 18x38 diving pool. Look for all the help i can get. We are looking at auto pool cleaners. What do you guys suggest we get? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy from Ohio

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What kind of cleaner are you looking for? See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pool-cleaners

Also you will quickly realize by reading the forum that the key to a clear pool is proper chemistry and to get that you need the correct tool for the job: Recommended Test Kits
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! And congratulations on your new home purchase with a pool!

I have a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Platinum and I can tell you I'm not all that impressed with it considering how much it costs with the booster pump.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks guys
    30k IG Salt Water Sand filter with a 1.5hp variable speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Randy,
    welcome! Well you came to the right place if you're looking for help. I will comment on a pool cleaner in a moment.

First though, I would suggest, that if you intend on keeping your pool in good shape and Trouble Free, then you need a good test kit. here is a link to the recommended ones by TFP. they are the best on the free market.
    I would personally recommend the TF100. Its the best bang for the buck. www.tftestkits.net

While its too cold to swim, go ahead and familiarize yourself with what different water parameters you need to know about. The ABC's is a great place to start.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry

And here is a handy thing that no pool owner should be deprived of. You are going to need this beauty.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

And here is a link to some handy references, most of which you will be referring to often.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...rence-material

As for pool cleaners, my personal experience is with the Dolphin pool cleaner. Lots of folks here will give them a big thumbs up. Dolphin as well as other lines have various models, so the best advice on a Robot I can give is - research the options and determine what you want and can live without. The more options, the more $.
    here is a link to the TFP forum dedicated to pool cleaners. Lots of info in there.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/50-Pool-Cleaners

If your pool is plumbed for a pressure side cleaner, the Polaris makes a good suction side ones. Models 280 and 380 have a long track record of success.

If you consider a suction side cleaner, the best review are of the ThePoolCleaner. Yes, all one word. Google is your friend when it comes to ThePoolCleaner.

And if this isnt enough and you get bored, click on "The Deep End" forum. But fair warning, be prepared to be either dazzled by brilliance, or baffled by BS! LOL. But whatever the case may be, enjoy.

hope this helps get you started,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome, Randy. This forum is great. If you follow the guidelines here, your pool water will be forever clean and sparkly. Hopefully you'll love your salt system as much as I love mine.

By the way, I live in Houston now, but I grew up in Cridersville and graduated from Wapakoneta. Go Redskins!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Cool Jay thats crazy to find someone from Cridersville on here!! Im hoping this is a wonderful experience owning a pool!
    30k IG Salt Water Sand filter with a 1.5hp variable speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP Randy.

You'll find what we teach makes pool care easier than you ever imagined possible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem