NEW Equipment Suggestions

Oct 19, 2014
Modesto, CA
First-time poster, forgive me in advance, for limited knowledge of pool equipment and jargon

Bought this house a few years ago, and my pool equipment is in need of an overhaul, looking for some guidance.

Current Setup

PUMP
Replacement Series/Hayward RS1000
I replaced the seals/gaskets recently

Motor
AO SMITH K48L2N104
1 HP
115/230 volts
60Hz

FILTER (relatively new)
Hayward C17502
120 GPM

BOOSTER PUMP
3/4HP 3450 RPM 115/230V 56Y Arneson Vertical Pool Cleaner Motor Century # B663
really loud, not really working anymore

SWEEPER
Polaris 280 Vac Sweep

POOL
In-Ground
20,000 gallons
1.5" pipe to and from equipment

Returning Jet #1 is strong, #2 is ok, #3 is pathetic.

I'd like to join the returning line and the booster line (with a valve), if posssible , with a 2-speed or VS pump

any feedback would be great.

A pic of my (anchient setup). also, can I ditch the booster pump, and run my Polaris from the new pump?

poolequip.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

poolequip02.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hopefully the pics showed, and hopefully all this makes sense.

thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Keep in mind that a Polaris 280 won't work from the main pump, it requires a booster pump. There are other cleaners that will work off of the main pump.

The returns are probably plumbed sequentially off of a single pipe. Assuming you aren't going to dig up all of the plumbing and replace it (very expensive) the best solution is to put a very small return eyeball on the first return, a mid-sized return eyeball on the middle return, and a large return eyeball on the last return. That will help even out the relative pressure (though it is unlikely to ever be perfect without replumbing).

Hi, welcome to TFP!
We hope we can help you find some answers or recommendations that are suitable to you.

The pump -
At minimum, go with a 2 speed pump.
Considering that you are in CA, where electric rates are expensive, a VS pump should definitely be considered.
Depending on exaclty which model of VS pump you consider, you could do away with at least one of those timers too. Most (but not all) VS pumps have a timer built in.

the Booster pump - again considering electric rates in CA, it would be worth considering a suction side cleaner which uses an energy efficient circulation pump. Or, depending on how much you want to use a cleaner, a robot might be a viable replacement for the 280. The robots are very energy efficient and would be very easy on the light bill, and you dont have to interrupt your skimming to use it.

The Filter - is a 175 sq ft filter. Not considered to be large. Its rated for 120 GPM.
When it comes to cart filters, bigger is better. A big filter can improve pump efficiency, lengthen time between cartfidge cleanings (nice) and result in longer life of the cartridges. So, if you have the budget to upgrade, do it. Go as big as you can afford. You wont regret it.

If you dont have the budget to upgrade to a larger filter, then keep in mind the flow rate of whatever new pump you end up with (especially a large VS), so you dont over-do the capacity of the filter. The flow rates on the large VS pumps can be very high when running full speed, which is usually only used when priming the pump. But still, that could result in damage to the cartridge.

What JasonLion says about the eyeballs is about your only option on the return flow.

Expanding on what Dave said about filters ... for a 20k pool, I would recommend a minimum cartridge filter size of 300 sqft, especially in an area where the pool is "open" year round.

Welcome to TFP!

Keep in mind that a Polaris 280 won't work from the main pump, it requires a booster pump. There are other cleaners that will work off of the main pump.

The returns are probably plumbed sequentially off of a single pipe. Assuming you aren't going to dig up all of the plumbing and replace it (very expensive) the best solution is to put a very small return eyeball on the first return, a mid-sized return eyeball on the middle return, and a large return eyeball on the last return. That will help even out the relative pressure (though it is unlikely to ever be perfect without replumbing).

Thanks! i didnt know about eyeballs

Hi, welcome to TFP!
We hope we can help you find some answers or recommendations that are suitable to you.

The pump -
At minimum, go with a 2 speed pump.
Considering that you are in CA, where electric rates are expensive, a VS pump should definitely be considered.
Depending on exaclty which model of VS pump you consider, you could do away with at least one of those timers too. Most (but not all) VS pumps have a timer built in.

the Booster pump - again considering electric rates in CA, it would be worth considering a suction side cleaner which uses an energy efficient circulation pump. Or, depending on how much you want to use a cleaner, a robot might be a viable replacement for the 280. The robots are very energy efficient and would be very easy on the light bill, and you dont have to interrupt your skimming to use it.

The Filter - is a 175 sq ft filter. Not considered to be large. Its rated for 120 GPM.
When it comes to cart filters, bigger is better. A big filter can improve pump efficiency, lengthen time between cartfidge cleanings (nice) and result in longer life of the cartridges. So, if you have the budget to upgrade, do it. Go as big as you can afford. You wont regret it.

If you dont have the budget to upgrade to a larger filter, then keep in mind the flow rate of whatever new pump you end up with (especially a large VS), so you dont over-do the capacity of the filter. The flow rates on the large VS pumps can be very high when running full speed, which is usually only used when priming the pump. But still, that could result in damage to the cartridge.

What JasonLion says about the eyeballs is about your only option on the return flow.

I wasnt planning on upgrading the filter, but if i need to, for a better pump, i will

I was looking at this Pentair system. though the kreepy krawly may have to wait till next year, I'll just vacuum and decide what to do with the booster later. A 60-day warranty on this, kind of scares me though

with the inlet and outlet being on the same side of this filter, not sure how i would pipe this.

you can certainly find better pricing that what you linked to.

You certainly dont need a huge pump such as the 11018 in the link. They are nice pumps though, I have one. That one would certainly require a filter upgrade I belive. Its a 3 HP pump and can really put out some water on high RPM's.

There are smaller and less expensive VS pumps available that would likely work with your filter. The main thing I suppose, is that one has the features that make you happy.

I would recommend visting the pentair and hawyard websites and check out the line of VS pumps to get an idea of the features that the different models offer. Then narrow down the list and go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.