Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked Filter Please advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked Filter Please advise

Sigh, the pressure got too high on my Hayward ec75a filter and burst on the side. Is there anyway of repairing this ? Dropping a grand on a new one doesnt sound like my idea of a plan.

thanks !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked Filter Please advise

I doubt there is a way to repair it that would last. You could probably do some kind of fiberglass patch if you are really handy, but I wouldn't expect it to last too long. I also doubt it was the pressure that caused the failure. Pool components are usually rated higher than the pump pressure could even get to. How old is the filter? If it has been in the sun for a long time it could have gotten brittle from the uv exposure causing it to crack.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure how old it is to be honest. I turned it off since the pressure was at 40 PSI , bumped it and turned it back on.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by stepowell7 View Post
    Sigh, the pressure got too high on my Hayward ec75a filter and burst on the side. Is there anyway of repairing this ? Dropping a grand on a new one doesnt sound like my idea of a plan.

thanks !
    There is no need to drop a grand on a brand new EC75. And by that I mean, the net has them for $550 with free shippiing or less.If you can do the plumbing yourself then you are set. But if your housing is split there is no feasible cheap/longterm solution, unless it is under warranty.

5. Back To Top    #5

Agreed, no repIr is going to hold the pressure for long. You will spend time and money just to be frustrated in the end.

$433 on Amazon including free shipping.

You may be able to replace just the cracked part. Check out the parts diagram in this PDF.

Remember, Google is your friend
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't see your pool or equipment size in your sig, but I'd suggest that since you're likely replacing it anyway take a look and see if it's appropriately sized for your pool. Also don't be tied to a bump filter or even a DE filter just because you have one now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

thank you ALL. I am going to buy one from Amazon or new from ebay and try and fit myself. Cannot imagine its that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Agreed, no repIr is going to hold the pressure for long. You will spend time and money just to be frustrated in the end.

$433 on Amazon including free shipping.

You may be able to replace just the cracked part. Check out the parts diagram in this PDF.

Remember, Google is your friend

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by stepowell7 View Post
    thank you ALL. I am going to buy one from Amazon or new from ebay and try and fit myself. Cannot imagine its that difficult.
    i always take a few photos from different angles to help hook things back up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Not difficult in the least. Any self respecting pool owner should easily be able to do a little PVC fitting and gluing. thats all it amounts to.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

I had a Hayward DE filter split ... I happened to have the pool installed so knew it was less than 5 years old and Hayward sent me a replacement case. Does not sound like you have any way of proving how old it is though.

Installing a filter ... especially the same one, should be a relatively easy install. Post pictures of the current setup if you want help figuring out the best way to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I had a DE filter crack. Tried fixing it, no go. Don't even bother trying it won't hold. I was able to replace just the bottom (cracked) half of the filter for a fraction of the cost of a new filter. If you do replace the entire filter, don't limit yourself to keeping the same size or type filter.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit