Return plug

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So i drained to about 3 or 4 inches below the return and then plugged it. Well now there is 2ft of snow on top of the cover and the pool is frozen solid it seems like.

My problem is this....When the snow hit, it made the water rise even with the skimmer basket. Now i have a slow water leak around the return plug. Water was draining out through the return. Normally I wouldnt care, but now it has frozen and is solid inside the return. I'm afraid its going to crack it.

Nothing much i can do now, but what did I do wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. What most likely happened is when the weight on the cover pushed the water up over the plug. Then the water froze around the plug and pulled it out some or all the way. Your return fitting may be ok. If it cracked just replace it in the spring. If you have to replace the fitting, replace it with one that has a threaded insert. You would then remove the insert and use a threaded PVC plug with an O-ring to plug the return.

Pretty sure i have the screw in type. I know the fitting is threaded. The piece the eye screws onto was threaded into the fitting. I think my plug was threaded as well. I know i had to remove that screw piece to put the plug in. Maybe i didnt get it tight enough?

I cant remember what type of plug i bought this year. I'm pretty sure i was the threaded one with the O-ring.....Man it sucks getting old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.