Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Return plug

So i drained to about 3 or 4 inches below the return and then plugged it. Well now there is 2ft of snow on top of the cover and the pool is frozen solid it seems like.

My problem is this....When the snow hit, it made the water rise even with the skimmer basket. Now i have a slow water leak around the return plug. Water was draining out through the return. Normally I wouldnt care, but now it has frozen and is solid inside the return. I'm afraid its going to crack it.

Nothing much i can do now, but what did I do wrong?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Return plug

You didn't do anything wrong. What most likely happened is when the weight on the cover pushed the water up over the plug. Then the water froze around the plug and pulled it out some or all the way. Your return fitting may be ok. If it cracked just replace it in the spring. If you have to replace the fitting, replace it with one that has a threaded insert. You would then remove the insert and use a threaded PVC plug with an O-ring to plug the return.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Return plug

Pretty sure i have the screw in type. I know the fitting is threaded. The piece the eye screws onto was threaded into the fitting. I think my plug was threaded as well. I know i had to remove that screw piece to put the plug in. Maybe i didnt get it tight enough?

I cant remember what type of plug i bought this year. I'm pretty sure i was the threaded one with the O-ring.....Man it sucks getting old.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Return plug

Ok thought you might be using the rubber expandable type plug.
    Like you said you might have not gotten it tight enough or O-ring is bad.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.