New Pool Build Phoenix AZ - Deep end questions, safe for diving, but no diving board.

Millty

Feb 16, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
I want our pool to be safe for diving from the pool deck, no diving board. So this is my plan so far. We are building an L-shape pool. One part of the L is the play pool area~4ft deep for volleyball basketball, lounging on benches... The deep end section is 8' deep. So this is how the slopes go, I followed the ANSI guidelines for a diving pool as best as I could decipher them. The deep end is 13' wide and 38' long. Starting at the deep side it is 8' deep for a run of 8.5' then it slopes at a 1:3 slope from 8' deep to 5' deep over a run of 9', then at 5' it is 1:7 slope from 5' to 4' depth over a 7'2" run. Then it is another 13'4" at 4' depth. That is a total length of 38'. Does that seem safe? Can I make it shorter? We wouldn't mind making the pool smaller but I want it to be safe for shallow diving. I can't change the 4' area much since that is part of the play pool section and I want minimal sloping. Is that clear as mud? I also thought of putting a platform at the deep end side. 12"-18" high with a sheer coming off it, but not sure it is worth the cost or if it would be safe. Thought the kids would enjoy jumping off it. Does anyone know if my depths and slopes are safe for diving? The ANSI actually said I only need to go 7.5' deep, but I thought 8' seemed so much safer.

I can post a 3-D sketch, if that would help. Let me know.

Thanks,
Millty

I can't remember where it's from, but there is another official guideline that states 5' of depth 18' from the end of the board. I would think your specs or this would work even better since you have no board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.