Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need a monthly maintenance estimate for a pool of this size

1. Back To Top    #1

I need a monthly maintenance estimate for a pool of this size

It will be used 12 months out of the year.
    I will have to pay someone to maintain it as I travel for work and am out of town for several days at a time.
    I understand several factors come into play here but a conservative estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I need a monthly maintenance estimate for a pool of this size

I'll give it a WAG and say $200.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Really depends on where you live and what is part of the maintanence schedule. My brother for example pays $60 per month for someone to come twice a week to maintain the pool. That includes skimming a few leaves, basic water testing and adding of chlorine (probably tablets). He probably also backwashes the DE filter every once in a while since my brother had no clue what that was when I brought it up.

So with that you get a cloudy pool and the need to "shock" every time he has a pool party since the heavy bather load makes it look a little green. Honestly, my 7 month old may never swim in his pool!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest you call around and get quotes and find out what they do, if you are going to pay someone.

This forum is more geared to teaching owners how to maintain their own pool, generally for a lot less money.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will have to pay someone to maintain it as I travel for work and am out of town for several days at a time.
    Does that mean you could maintain the pool once a week, twice a month .....?

A SWG might be a good investment to get you through your travels. Chlorine is probably the fastest changing element in a pool and a SWG can help maintain constant levels. Everything else changes fairly slowly. Also, having a little debris build up in the pool is no big deal and cleanup can wait till you get home.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

I say as long as you can get to it every three days at least, go for it yourself. With a SWCG or Stenner pump automatically chlorinating it you can go a few days between testing once you get it dialed in. A pool service is going to,come once a week and brush, clean the filter and throw some tabs in a floater. Before you know it you will have high CYA and an uncontrollable pool.

Read around in the Pool School and see what we teach. It takes a few minutes a day to maintain it yourself and you will care for it better than the pool guys for a lot less money!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Getting anyone to come out and do anything to a pool starts at $80 a visit around here. It should be way less than that in Florida.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Houston, Texas prices...

Chemicals only $70 per month and they come once a week.

Full service $140 - chems, clean baskets, filters and vacuum once a week.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
    My goal is to learn as much as possible so I can maintain as much as I can on my own.
    But there will be some months where I will have to pay someone because I will not have the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

I am not sure it is going to be easy to find a company that you can just call out for maintenance every once and a while. They are going to want you to be a regular customer (contract even?). Plus usually the way "they" maintain the pool is vastly different from the way we maintain out pools. It may not be a good idea to be switching back and forth.

Being gone for a few days at a time is no big deal if you have an automated way of maintaining the chlorine levels ... like a SWG or stenner pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I need a monthly maintenance estimate for a pool of this size

Another vote for a SWG. Also while your away maybe you could find a responsible teenager, college student to keep an eye on things. Do some simple FC, PH test's and make adjustments accordingly. The SWG would make things easier for them. You could show them what needs to be done and would be cheaper than a pool service coming out.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

SWG for sure. I have found that once I had got my chemistry right, a cover and a SWG meant that I didn't even have to look at my pool for a week at a time. The pool was covered so dirt and bathers were kept out, so the chlorine demand was similar daily, which the SWG took care of. A very easy way to look after a pool with just the occasional chemistry check. A different matter once the cover is off and swimmers are in the pool of course.

13. Back To Top    #13

Here are the rates in my area:

Service pricing per month -

Weekly - $190.00

Bi-Weekly - $115.00

Monthly - $65.00

These rates seem to be a lot higher than what others are paying so probably a good idea to shop around.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

14. Back To Top    #14

All that is really required is to put some chlorine in the pool while you're gone. It's unlikely that anything else needs to be done in a few days time unless you're not wanting to bother with any of the other maintenance.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Install a SWG and learn how to maintain it yourself. The SWG will maintain chlorine levels while you are gone for days at a time. I adjust my pH and brush the pool once a week. No other real maintenance required. My only cost to maintain the pool is acid, and I only have to buy that every 3-4 months maybe.

What city in south Florida?
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump