Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Depth

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Depth

The hole has been dug and I am quickly regretting my depth choice. 20 x 40 rectangular with 6 ft tanning deck - 3 foot depth for 10 feet - transition to 3.5 foot for 10 feet and a slope to five foot. I have a 7 and 12 year old - hoping for volleyball in the shallow and a slide will dump into the 5 foot section. Is this too shallow in the 3 to 3.5 range - does 3.5 to 4 make more sense?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Depth

Welcome to TFP!!!

Depth is a personal choice. Some like very shallow where everyone can stand and others like to be able to jump in.

To me, 3' is awfully shallow. Even the smallest above ground pools are nearly 4' deep (unless you are talking about kiddie pools). It is no uncommon to have a "play" pool where the depth starts at 3' (or a little more) on each and continually slopes to the middle at 5'.

Also, 5' seems a little shallow for a slide IMO.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is 20x40. Close to 1/3 is 3.5' then it slopes to 8.5 on the deep end for the diving board. I have three kids big enough to get in the pool; 8,5,&3. None of them play in the shallow end exclusively. They swim and jump off the board.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

May I suggest a sports pool? 3.5 on either side and 5-6 feet in the middle. You will find no one will hang out in the 10 foot section when you have people over.

Hope this helps.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

I think he means 10' length of 3' depth.

The depth of 5' is too shallow for a slide if you ask me. I would want a minimum of 6 if it were mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I would add another foot all over, you don't want it too shallow. Minimum 6ft at the diving end as Brushpup said.
    7700 Gallon Bestway 22ft Vinyl, Zodiac Clearwater 170 SWG, Sand Filter, Hand Vacuum, Borates.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree that 3' and even 3-1/2' is too shallow. 4' is the minimum depth I would build at next time. We spend most of our time in the 4-1/2'-5' parts of our pool. Get a tape measure and hold it up to you to see how shallow 3' and 3-1/2' really is.

Some people say they want shallow pools for their kids, but kids grow fast and learn to swim even faster. We have several benches around our pool and steps. When we have smaller kids visit they often pick a bench as home base and swim to them when they get tired. But, none of them ever hang out in the 3' part of our pool. Nobody is ever over there really.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

My slide lets off in about 5' of water and it's fine as long as I don't extend my legs all the way -- otherwise I come off the slide standing. It's not dangerous, just slightly annoying and easily remedied by coming off the slide in a crouching position. Not an issue whatsoever for the kids though. In retrospect I may have made the pool another foot deeper had I known in advance that would happen, but I'm in the category of people who like to be able to stand anywhere in the pool and I'm 5'7".
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I have kids between 5-11 and they would much rather swim than stand. They enjoy benched for sitting but like to jump in and swim down to the bottom and they are only getting bigger.
    Our pool goes from 3 1/2' to around 8 1/2' in the deep end.
    No regrets.

10. Back To Top    #10

4' on the shallow is a must in my book I'm 6'4" and 36" is below my waist. My pb tried to sell me on 36" walls but I paid extra for 48" walls
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

I love that I have options. Shallow (3.5-4' with wide steps) for the littlest ones to feel safe as well as volleyball and basketball... And yet also a safe-depth (6.5') for the slide and 9' for diving which is a huge attraction for braver/older kids and cannonballing adults!