bf1967

May 22, 2007
SE WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I finally finished my deck. I left a decent gap between the top rail & the deck so I could get my winter cover on (1.5" maybe). As I'm looking at it , I can't help but think that somebody might catch thier toe in it. I thought I saw a pool catalog once that had something that was in tee configuration that would fill that gap.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but has anyone else seen this?

Bob

Home depot, Leows, and floor stores should carry vinyl extrusions (called industrial type) that are intended to fill the gaps between floors and carpets in industrial buildings - that might work if you can find large enough- fairly cheap and can be removed as needed. Another possibility- plastic extrusion intended to fill gaps between oven and counter or between washer and dryer sitting next to each other. If you have one high traffic area that you want to be safe- the pieces are usually not very long, but you may be able to find it in longer sections. Another option, a rubber or foam extrusion that looks like weather stripping, only larger- used for cushioning in gaps in industrial applications. There are so many types of extrusion out there for building applications, you should be able to find something if you are really concerned. We will be in deck building mode this winter, so this is something we are starting to have to think about ourselves. Had not thought about needing a gap for the winter cover, as I have not really seen any pictures of deck builds that show it- good to know about.

Thanks for the good ideas. I'll have to make a run by the home center...

The other reason I'd like to fill that is that I ran my deck boards parallel to the middle top rail and it varies by 1/4" from one side to the other. It's one of those things that bugs me when I look at it.

Bob

We left a good sized gap to be able work in there on winter cover, top rails or remove/replace a liner. Our idea was to put a hinged piece on that can be lifted up. Look back and you will see the thread and pictures. Just another idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.