Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak Gas Heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak Gas Heaters

Folks I need your guidance.

I'm going to purchase a natural gas heater for my inground pool. It is an 18X36 with no deep end. It holds about 90,000 liters or 24000 US gallons. It seams that Raypak is the most recommended on the site. I noticed they carry two types a Low Nox and their regular model. Should I go with the regular and if so what size? One more thing, I'm in Canada and would like to extend my season by about 4 weeks (Bring temp up by 10 to 15 degrees farenheight).

Thanks on advance.

Randy
    22yr pool owner, 21 yrs Baquacil, installed SWG 2009 - (22000 gal Vinyl In-ground pool)(Pool Pilot DG-220 SWG)(Hayward S244T Sand Filter 3.1 sq ft area 20 gpm)(Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypak Gas Heaters

We recommend getting the largest heater you can. It will use just about the same amount of gas, but will heat the water faster. You do need to be mindful of what your gas supply and pipes will support though.

If you are not required to have the Low Nox in your jurisdiction, then I see no reason to pay for it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    We recommend getting the largest heater you can. It will use just about the same amount of gas, but will heat the water faster. You do need to be mindful of what your gas supply and pipes will support though.

If you are not required to have the Low Nox in your jurisdiction, then I see no reason to pay for it.
    Speaking of going big I would also look into hayward's new 500K heater. That will give you an extra boost to get those 4 weeks. Hayward Universal H Series H500FDN

4. Back To Top    #4

While the 500k is bigger, I do not think I have seen any feedback on it. The Raypak consistently gets very good feedback.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would not buy a Hayward given their track record on their FD heaters. The best bet is the Raypak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I though all heaters over 399,000 btu had to have high low gas cutoffs, manual resetting high limits, and a bunch of other ****. I don't think I could "legally" install one here.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    I would not buy a Hayward given their track record on their FD heaters. The best bet is the Raypak.
    +1 ..
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great info. Next set of questions. Copper or Nickel input? Where is the best place to purchase for a good price?
    22yr pool owner, 21 yrs Baquacil, installed SWG 2009 - (22000 gal Vinyl In-ground pool)(Pool Pilot DG-220 SWG)(Hayward S244T Sand Filter 3.1 sq ft area 20 gpm)(Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump)

9. Back To Top    #9

Copper is fine for a swimming pool. You only need cupro-nickel when you are using ocean water. SWG salt levels do not count as ocean water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School