Anyway to use waterfall with pump on low speed

ITR

Gold Supporter
Nov 8, 2014
Clermont, FL
Just a quick question. Currently on low speed my spa does not fill with any water, therefore it seems on low speed my spa is not circulating any pool water into it. I would think I would want the water circulating through both so I don't have issues with the spa. I don't want to run on high-speed all day as the aeration will only add to the pH rising I am trying to keep level (new pool). Thoughts?

What do you guys recommend?

Hello,
Are you able to adjust the valves to direct more water to the spa? If you have a spill over you can direct most of the flow to the spa, that will spill over to the pool. Can you post a picture of your pool and equipment?

Interesting. I thought about it...but don't want to screw something up. I can certainly adjust the spa setting when the pump in on high...it's a manual valve (top leftmost valve in the picture below is the one I adjust). I have an iAqualink that I assume shuts down the flow to the spa when the low speed is set. Here's a pic of the valve setup:

What mode is your pool in for that picture? It looks like every pipe on the suction and return side are open ... which is not usually what you want. In spill-over mode, you would not want any suction from the spa, maybe that is why you do not have a spill-over.

Can you label the pipes in the picture?

You are looking for spillover mode (suction from pool and return to spa). Program that feature for the amount of time you want your spa to circulate.

I do not have a "spillover mode". Just a "clean mode" and "spa mode". The spa mode is what is used when in the spa (pump on, spa suction on, heater on, and spa return on [to get the bubbles], blower, low speed, and pool heat is off).

- - - Updated - - -

No idea what mode it was in for that picture. It was before the startup procedure. I will take one later today with "clean mode" on and "spa mode" on (and it will have the pipes labeled now).

iAqualink 2.0 with an RS-8 board. It's weird though...my schedule is "Filter Pump 9a-9p", then low comes on at 5p-9p. With no manual valves changed, I get a waterfall during the day, and nothing at night.

Well, first that is WAY more run time than you need (see Determine Pump Run Time)

If the valves do not change when low comes on, then you should be getting some water still spilling over. Sounds like adjust the valves to give more flow to the spa is needed. But we need to understand where the valves are positioned in your operating modes.

Perhaps. Since the pool is only two months old and I had a significant scaling issue the first month which required a full drain, acid wash, fill and restart, I haven't had time to determine the appropriate run time yet. I'm also loading CYA via the skimmer, so I want to make sure I get adequate circulation and am under the impression that too much is better than not enough at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an aqualink RS-8 but only run the spillover mode for one hour per day. If "spillover mode" does not show on the indoor panel you must go to the out door control center and make sure the dip switch for Aux 3 is on. It took me 20 years to figure this out because the factory setting for Aux 3 is off.

According to my iaqualink software the Aux are setup as:
AUX1 - Air Blower
AUX2 - Low Speed
AUX3 - Spa Light
AUX4 - Pool Light
AUX5 - Garden Light
AUX6 - Not assigned
AUX7 - Not assigned

Are you talking about another "AUX" input?

What I had was the light on Aux 3 before change but moved the plug-in to Aux -6 and moved the color wheel to Aux 7
. Then after you set the outside dip switch to "on' you go to your control panel and reassign Aux 6 to pool light.

The Aux 3 switch is not something you can access through software, it is a physical switch on a small block of switches on the automation system circuit board. On that block of switches you want #3 to be on.

The Aux 3 switch is not something you can access through software, it is a physical switch on a small block of switches on the automation system circuit board. On that block of switches you want #3 to be on.

Totally get it. I'm actually in the technology industry....but one would think the AUX3 of the software would match up with the AUX3 of the hardware....no? (and clearly AUX3 of the software DOES control the spa light)

Opening the front of the box there is no SPILLWAY button. I will unscrew the panel tomorrow (it's dusk right now and I want to do it with light on).

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Work has been kicking my ***. So here are the pictures to the control panel, relays, and dip switches. Also to note, the iAqaulink has two modes "Spa" and "Clean". Neither of them adjust the valves at all when activated. Here is what the control:

Spa Mode:
- Filter Pump: On
- Spa: On
- Spa Heat: Enabled
- Everything else: Off

Clean mode:
- Filter Pump: On
- Everything else: Off

Here are the photos:

http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Th33nforcer/library/Pool

As you can see there is something (I haven't traced the wires yet) attached to AUX3.

I have the owners manual to the Aqualink system, but that only addresses the software interface. Where could I find the manual for the control board (I don't even know what its called if it's not part of the iAqualink line branding).

Anything make any sense here?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I'm gathering looking at this and reading the comments upthread, you need to not use the Aux3 relay socket if you want spa spillover, so you need to move whatever if on Aux 3 somewhere else and change S1-3 to get spa spillover mode. Looks like you're using all the relay sockets though, and I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

Description of what does what:
ControlPanel-IMG_3542.jpg

Wires connected to "AUX" headers:
Relays-IMG_3535.jpg

Last edited:
I have an aqualink RS-8 but only run the spillover mode for one hour per day. If "spillover mode" does not show on the indoor panel you must go to the out door control center and make sure the dip switch for Aux 3 is on. It took me 20 years to figure this out because the factory setting for Aux 3 is off.

Just to update everyone on the solution. H-12 1/2 Mike hit the nail on the head. I had the warranty company come out and they moved the Spa light to an available AUX and then left AUX3 open...flipped the dip switch for 3 to "ON" and Spillover mode works flawless now. Thanks again for the help guys!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.