Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyway to use waterfall with pump on low speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyway to use waterfall with pump on low speed

Just a quick question. Currently on low speed my spa does not fill with any water, therefore it seems on low speed my spa is not circulating any pool water into it. I would think I would want the water circulating through both so I don't have issues with the spa. I don't want to run on high-speed all day as the aeration will only add to the pH rising I am trying to keep level (new pool). Thoughts?

What do you guys recommend?
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyway to use waterfall with pump on low speed

Hello,
    Are you able to adjust the valves to direct more water to the spa? If you have a spill over you can direct most of the flow to the spa, that will spill over to the pool. Can you post a picture of your pool and equipment?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting. I thought about it...but don't want to screw something up. I can certainly adjust the spa setting when the pump in on high...it's a manual valve (top leftmost valve in the picture below is the one I adjust). I have an iAqualink that I assume shuts down the flow to the spa when the low speed is set. Here's a pic of the valve setup:

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You are looking for spillover mode (suction from pool and return to spa). Program that feature for the amount of time you want your spa to circulate.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

5. Back To Top    #5

What mode is your pool in for that picture? It looks like every pipe on the suction and return side are open ... which is not usually what you want. In spill-over mode, you would not want any suction from the spa, maybe that is why you do not have a spill-over.

Can you label the pipes in the picture?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    You are looking for spillover mode (suction from pool and return to spa). Program that feature for the amount of time you want your spa to circulate.
    I do not have a "spillover mode". Just a "clean mode" and "spa mode". The spa mode is what is used when in the spa (pump on, spa suction on, heater on, and spa return on [to get the bubbles], blower, low speed, and pool heat is off).

- - - Updated - - -

No idea what mode it was in for that picture. It was before the startup procedure. I will take one later today with "clean mode" on and "spa mode" on (and it will have the pipes labeled now).
    ----

7. Back To Top    #7

What brand/model of automation system do you have? They almost all have spillover mode, though it might be called something else and is often more hidden than spa mode.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

iAqualink 2.0 with an RS-8 board. It's weird though...my schedule is "Filter Pump 9a-9p", then low comes on at 5p-9p. With no manual valves changed, I get a waterfall during the day, and nothing at night.
    ----

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, first that is WAY more run time than you need (see Determine Pump Run Time)

If the valves do not change when low comes on, then you should be getting some water still spilling over. Sounds like adjust the valves to give more flow to the spa is needed. But we need to understand where the valves are positioned in your operating modes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Perhaps. Since the pool is only two months old and I had a significant scaling issue the first month which required a full drain, acid wash, fill and restart, I haven't had time to determine the appropriate run time yet. I'm also loading CYA via the skimmer, so I want to make sure I get adequate circulation and am under the impression that too much is better than not enough at this point.
    ----

11. Back To Top    #11

I have an aqualink RS-8 but only run the spillover mode for one hour per day. If "spillover mode" does not show on the indoor panel you must go to the out door control center and make sure the dip switch for Aux 3 is on. It took me 20 years to figure this out because the factory setting for Aux 3 is off.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

12. Back To Top    #12

According to my iaqualink software the Aux are setup as:
    AUX1 - Air Blower
    AUX2 - Low Speed
    AUX3 - Spa Light
    AUX4 - Pool Light
    AUX5 - Garden Light
    AUX6 - Not assigned
    AUX7 - Not assigned

Are you talking about another "AUX" input?
    ----

13. Back To Top    #13

What I had was the light on Aux 3 before change but moved the plug-in to Aux -6 and moved the color wheel to Aux 7
    . Then after you set the outside dip switch to "on' you go to your control panel and reassign Aux 6 to pool light.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

14. Back To Top    #14

The Aux 3 switch is not something you can access through software, it is a physical switch on a small block of switches on the automation system circuit board. On that block of switches you want #3 to be on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The Aux 3 switch is not something you can access through software, it is a physical switch on a small block of switches on the automation system circuit board. On that block of switches you want #3 to be on.
    Totally get it. I'm actually in the technology industry....but one would think the AUX3 of the software would match up with the AUX3 of the hardware....no? (and clearly AUX3 of the software DOES control the spa light)

Opening the front of the box there is no SPILLWAY button. I will unscrew the panel tomorrow (it's dusk right now and I want to do it with light on).
    ----

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Work has been kicking my ***. So here are the pictures to the control panel, relays, and dip switches. Also to note, the iAqaulink has two modes "Spa" and "Clean". Neither of them adjust the valves at all when activated. Here is what the control:

Spa Mode:
    - Filter Pump: On
    - Spa: On
    - Spa Heat: Enabled
    - Everything else: Off

Clean mode:
    - Filter Pump: On
    - Everything else: Off

Here are the photos:

http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Th3...r/library/Pool

As you can see there is something (I haven't traced the wires yet) attached to AUX3.

I have the owners manual to the Aqualink system, but that only addresses the software interface. Where could I find the manual for the control board (I don't even know what its called if it's not part of the iAqualink line branding).

Anything make any sense here?
    Last edited by jblizzle; 03-24-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Edited for language
    ----

17. Back To Top    #17

From what I'm gathering looking at this and reading the comments upthread, you need to not use the Aux3 relay socket if you want spa spillover, so you need to move whatever if on Aux 3 somewhere else and change S1-3 to get spa spillover mode. Looks like you're using all the relay sockets though, and I have no idea what I'm talking about

Description of what does what:

Wires connected to "AUX" headers:
    Last edited by ourback; 03-24-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added inline pictures
    17k gal, Florida Gem "Double Sky Blue", 11018 Intelliflow VS, Hayward C1750, Autopilot Nano+ SWG, Rheem 6350ti 117kbtu hp, Hayward Colorlogic light (12v)

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by H-12 1/2 Mike View Post
    I have an aqualink RS-8 but only run the spillover mode for one hour per day. If "spillover mode" does not show on the indoor panel you must go to the out door control center and make sure the dip switch for Aux 3 is on. It took me 20 years to figure this out because the factory setting for Aux 3 is off.
    Just to update everyone on the solution. H-12 1/2 Mike hit the nail on the head. I had the warranty company come out and they moved the Spa light to an available AUX and then left AUX3 open...flipped the dip switch for 3 to "ON" and Spillover mode works flawless now. Thanks again for the help guys!!
    ----