Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Longest streak for keeping pool water in balance

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Longest streak for keeping pool water in balance

Curious, using the TFPC method, just how long has anyone kept their pool in balance and not had to either SLAM or dump and fill their pool/spa? Sorry, this leaves out all those who have to close for the season.......
    Any world records out there?
    3150 gallon (8'x14'x3.75') vinyl lined Original Endless Pool opened 10/10/2014 - chlorine based with UV sanitizer, 50 SF filter cartridge, AG outdoors with opaque retractable cover, Gecko controller In.ex 4 Kw heater, 88 F, triple insulated; Sundance Altamar 390 gallon spa opened July 2000; chlorine based conversion from Baqua Oct 2014; outdoors, on deck, covered, 98F, no ozonator/sanitizer, 125 SF filter cartridge. FAS-DPD chlorine testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Longest streak for keeping pool water in balance

We have had our pool for 3 seasons and none of that. Even had an algae bloom the first fall because we didn't realize that swcg do not work in cold water. So, now we put a gallon of bleach in occasionally during winter. Never SLAMed, shocked or anything. Just TF100 tests and tweaks here and there to ph, alkalinity, cya and swcg output. TFP is awesome and that is why it says TFP Platinum over there <<-----.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Coming up to our third season with never having seen algae in our pool. Always crystal clear and always open. I do battle high CH, so I have to drain off a little water to keep it manageable.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

It's been 10 years since I got cloudy water and high chlorine demand from algae growth after using Trichlor and having the CYA rise from 30 to 150 ppm. Since that time, I once did not dose the pool enough after starting up the solar system and had slightly cloudy water but a HUGE chlorine demand from a bacterial conversion of CYA (see this thread), but that was around 6 years ago.

I don't winterize the pool, but I do use winter rains to dilute the water each year mostly to keep the salt level in check. Now to be fair, as described in this post I had the phosphates removed from the pool as an experiment about 5 years ago and since then I have not seen even an increased chlorine demand in the very few times the chlorine got too low (even close to zero). If I just count any inconsistent dosing, I'd say that occurs once every few years but even if I had the 3000+ ppb phosphates I used to have this would still be easily handled so long as the chlorine didn't get all the way to zero and allow bacteria to grow and consume CYA creating ammonia.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I must be going on four years. I've replaced a lot of water a few inches at a time to reduce the CYA buildup I inherited and the CH buildup, but the pool has never been drained completely. Nor have I ever had to SLAM.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I did a partial drain/fill when we moved in last August. Haven't had to do much since then. I've only had to add liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and baking soda as needed. Pretty simple for me.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I close my pool in the winter and haven't SLAMed since I opened it in 2012. I open early enough to usually have clear water with a little algae. I don't like to shock because I want to get the cleaner going right away. I usually open on a Saturday morning, and by Sunday evening the pool is passably clean and on a normal chlorination cycle.

I don't shock when closing because I see no need.

Here is a shot of my pool after vacuuming it on opening day last year:

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

I've never had to SLAM (pool was built in 2011). I've done TFPC since the start. I don't close the pool for the winter, and I try to use rain water to keep the CH under control (the California drought is making this a bit difficult). Thanks TFP for showing me how to do it!
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am at 2 1/2 years with no algae and no SLAM. All thanks to the wonderful people here. My last pool was a nightmare!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm going on my 4th year of no SLAM or significant drain & refill. I do not winterize my pool. One of the secrets is that I aggressively manage CYA. I let it drop during the fall and winter (water dilution from rain and runoff takes care of that). The colder water and less sunlight during late fall and winter reduces chlorine demand considerably. Nevertheless, I'm diligent about maintaining chlorine at the recommended level throughout the winter - I can just go much longer between additions vs. the summer. In late-March, I will test and add CYA (with granular CYA using the sock-in-the-skimmer method) to bring it up to 30-35 ppm. I may bump CYA closer to 40 ppm during the height of the summer. I always leave a little headroom for CYA in case I need to temporarily use tabs for chlorination if I'm out of town for more than a few days.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

I havent had an ounce of algae in many years in season. But every year when I open is a nightmare, so not sure if that counts
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Longest streak for keeping pool water in balance

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    I havent had an ounce of algae in many years in season. But every year when I open is a nightmare, so not sure if that counts
    If your having problems when opening we can help you out. My water is crystal clear when I open. Closing and opening when water temps are below 60 go a long way in opening to clear water.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Going on 3 years with new pool. It's SLAM'ed for closing because I have to close but it's opened to crystall clear water. I simply hook the pump n filter up, top her off n start her up and adjust all parameters of water testing if needed.

Last pool I went 3 years before I moved. 6 years total. Not to shabby.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

im on 2 weeks. lol! i just added the salt to get my SWG cookin' but my CYA levels were way too high since i was stupid and didn't get on the "just add bleach" train fast enough and added dichlor. doh! never again! so i had to do a partial drain to get it into the zone...but hey, live and learn. went in my spa last night and it was PERFECT. thanks for all the brilliant info!
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm going on 3 years and never once seen green.
    I did bring it up to shock level once when the grandson took a poop in the pool, but that was done preemptively to avoid potential problems.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm just shy of 5 years with my current liner. I don't close my pool. I've had zero issues so far. I can't imagine it getting any easier thanks to this forum.