Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Difference readings with different test kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Difference readings with different test kits

I have a Taylor K-2006 kit that I use for everything except testing Bromine. I bought a Rainbow Lifegard kit that only tests pH and Bromine. When I tested pH using the Taylor and the Rainbow, I got drastically different readings. Taylor read 7.4 and Rainbow read above 8.4. The Bromine readings were also very high. So I bought another brand of Bromine/pH kit (Hydrotools Swimline). That also very high for pH and Bromine. Now I wonder if the Bromine reading is higher than what it actually is. However, I used a Aqua Check strip and also got a high reading. So I'm guessing the Bromine is accurate, but the pH isn't. Have you seen this issue before?

260 gal., outdoor, cartridge filter, well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Difference readings with different test kits

The 2006 is the best kit for all tests. The high bromine level is interfering with the ph test causing it to read high.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Difference readings with different test kits

Different PH tests are buffered more or less effectively against chlorine/bromine interference. Taylor uses much more effective buffering, so it will still work at much higher chlorine/bromine levels than the Rainbow kit will.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School