Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back down to 0 FC!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Back down to 0 FC!

Did my first SLAM about 2 weeks ago, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-SLAM-question Super thanks to all who replied!!

But I am thinking maybe we missed something?, didn't keep chlorine high enough long enough?, not sure, but I am back down to 0 FC! It had passed the overnight FC test but maybe we read wrong.
    Been running pump 6-7 hours at 50% Chlorine generation and back down to 0 FC!! Something is not right....

We did have our 5 month old salt cell tested about a month ago at pool store and they stated it was definitely generating chlorine--we are going to clean it today per Hayward instructions and I guess SLAM again paying more attention to details.

Water is CRYSTAL clear, the only place I still see visible algae is a tiny tiny bit in a valve by the pool equipment that has clear plastic around it. Not sure if this is clean-able-don't think so??

FC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 80
    CYA-90ish (I know a bit high but Im ok with maintaining higher FC levels if I can ever get my SWG to keep up )

Do you all think my plan sounds about right? Repeated SLAM is not harmful correct? I will keep SWG OFF during process.
    Brand new (9/2014) Fiberglass 7500 gallon with 6 person spa spillover, Aquarite SWG/ Turbo Cell rated to 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump and cartridge filter. Electric Hayward heater for spa only.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Back down to 0 FC!

I would suggest you raise the FC level back up toward SLAM level and do the OCLT. If you pass, then you must just need to increase the SWG output or the pump run time to maintain adequate FC ... sound like you were not testing your Fc often enough
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree.

Can you give us a little more detail on what you did once the SLAM was complete (but before the FC started coming down)?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Slam finished--I measured readings every day--chlorine kept falling below my target of 6ish all other readings on target--so I added more bleach back up to FC 11ppm, then it kept falling again. And here I am back at 0
    The only other thing I did was add some iron/metal remover 2 days ago as we had some very mild metal staining(I know because it came off with Vitmin C tablet!) Its gone now. I didn't even have the proper amount of the iron remover as the container was only 1/3 full but stains gone.

I really would think with pump running and SWG at 50% output for 6 hours a day I would have more than 0!
    So based on my education from this forum from you all I either have
    A. still something organic using up chlorine(most likely)
    or
    B. Failing SWG (less likely) (Salt is showing 3200 on panel, no visible deposits in SWG but have never given it a mild acid bath per Hayward instructions so will be doing that today)
    Brand new (9/2014) Fiberglass 7500 gallon with 6 person spa spillover, Aquarite SWG/ Turbo Cell rated to 15,000 gallons, Hayward pump and cartridge filter. Electric Hayward heater for spa only.

5. Back To Top    #5

Back down to 0 FC!

Tam do the OCLT at SLAM level and report back your findings. Remember to run your pump the whole time and your SWG off.
    If you pass the OCLT then we can move on from there. Check your light niche if you have one.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

might a bit of algae behind the light fixture or somewhere that doesnt get circulation. The algae begind the light trick has fooled a lot of people.
    OCLT <1ppm
    CC at <0.5
    Clear Water

if any of the 3 dont pass, then there is something still going on.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

set your swg to 100%
    with pump running place a sample bottle over return jet from pump, place your hand or lid on bottle before removing from pool
    measure the FC of the sample
    should be significantly higher than your pool level if SWG is working
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Some metal removers,, such as ascorbic acid, create a chlorine demand.