FLO code on Heater?

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
I noticed since I got here there is a Flashing FLO code on the heater when the pump is not running. Is this normal for a pool heater? I was told it was always like the from the people that sold us the house.I'm not sure I believe them or not though.
When I had my Hot Tub up north it was an error code to clean the filters.Even after I cleaned the filter after I got here it is still flashing when the pumps not running.
It was it was very dirty and looks like I need a new one so I ordered a new one cant wait to see if the code goes away after I put the new one in.
Thanks for any advise.

A FLO error is normal if the heater is powered up when the pump is off. However, it is preferred (though not essential) that the heater be powered down when the pump is off.

You might want to read this topic on cleaning a cartridge filter. It may well have some suggestions you haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the link Jason. I always used the TSP on my Hot tub filters for over 25 years and I like to keep an extra pair for a fast swap out and then have time to clean the dirty ones properly.
The filter that is in there now is in bad shape bands broke and really clogged up cleaned it the best I could with TSP anyway then I ordered a new one,Im going to get another one too this time I got a Pleatco Pure. Any advice on a real good brand of filter for a pool would be appreciated though. I just wanted to get one ASAP so I just got that one on Amazon and saved half of what the store wanted for the same filter.

One more thing Jason, I forgot in the last post. I'm not sure how to power the heater down when the pump is running yet.It don't seem to be heating unless it's below the temp I have set though. hmm
All I know is the code goes away when the pump is on and it just shows the temp.
Ill have to look online for a manual on the unit I guess.

I have an Aquacal heat pump as well. The code FLO means "Low or No Water Flow Detected". It is a self-protection mechanism that prevents the heater from operating if there isn't enough water moving through the heat exchanger. If your filter is dirty then indeed you will need to run the pump at a higher speed in order to achieve the minimum GPM for the heater to operate. You should have a MODE button that will switch between HEAT, COOL (if applicable), ACH (automatic, if applicable), or OFF. It is perfectly normal operation to show the FLO code even while the heater is in the OFF position because the control panel and display are still operational.

From the manual:

All AquaCal heaters represented within this manual are designed to operate successfully at flow
rates of 30-to-70 gallons-per-minute (GPM).

Design the plumbing system to maintain at least 50-GPM flow through the heater under worst
case conditions (i.e.: filter fouled to 10 psi rise); the heat pump will not operate correctly, nor
reliably, with less than 50-GPM of water flow supplied.

I have an Aquacal heat pump as well. The code FLO means "Low or No Water Flow Detected". It is a self-protection mechanism that prevents the heater from operating if there isn't enough water moving through the heat exchanger. If your filter is dirty then indeed you will need to run the pump at a higher speed in order to achieve the minimum GPM for the heater to operate. You should have a MODE button that will switch between HEAT, COOL (if applicable), ACH (automatic, if applicable), or OFF. It is perfectly normal operation to show the FLO code even while the heater is in the OFF position because the control panel and display are still operational.

From the manual:

All AquaCal heaters represented within this manual are designed to operate successfully at flow
rates of 30-to-70 gallons-per-minute (GPM).

Design the plumbing system to maintain at least 50-GPM flow through the heater under worst
case conditions (i.e.: filter fouled to 10 psi rise); the heat pump will not operate correctly, nor
reliably, with less than 50-GPM of water flow supplied.

100% on the above. Except my AquaCal's has faulty LCD segments on the display, so I have to best guess the codes and temp on the display!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.