Hello new friends!

Fouts

Feb 13, 2015
Ringgold, GA
Hello everyone. I just created my account here at TFP, and I look forward to reading all the great advice you have to offer.
Many many years ago as a teenager I started working at a semi-private community pool, roughly 150K gallons. I knew nothing about everything regarding pools or maintenance. After six summers split up between that pool, a smaller public pool, and an indoor Olympic-sized college pool, I finally figured out how to keep them blue. Well, let's fast-forward 10 years... Now, at the age of 32, I am buying a foreclosure with an in-ground swamp. It's painfully obvious that this has been neglected for many months, but I have no way of knowing how long exactly.
I have not closed on the house yet, but I am under contract. Should be closing in March, and I will post pictures all along the way.
First steps will be to remove the heavy debris and evict any alligators I may run across. My experience has always been with concrete walls, so my instinct is to drain. But I have read enough on here already to know that is not always the best idea. So I'm going to treat it, hopefully I won't drop a ton of cash on chemicals only to learn of a bad liner once I can see the second step.
Anyways, that's me and my start. I look forward to reading and learning from everyone here!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With a swamp to clear, I highly recommend the TF-100 test kit with the XL option and Speed Stir ... best investment you can make to help you get to a sparkling pool :goodjob:

As soon as you can take a pic or two of your swamp. We LOVE good stories!

We can help you clear your pool.

Your next step will be to order a good test kit. You really need to get the TF-100XL to do what you need to do.

Let us know as soon as you close.

oh and go looking for your best price on bleach/chlorine. Some fine it at Walmart, some at the pool store (chlorine is the only think you will need to buy from them), Ace Hardware is another good source.

Good luck!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Boy Howdy you're going to be scooping out schmutz from that pool for quite a few weekends, but it *is* do-able. Consider it good exercise :) Keep the pics coming!
I love that your pool is deep enough to have a diving board. I so wish mine did.

Wow - this just might be one of the all time best cleanup threads if you are able to pull this off. I am astounded at the look of that pool. You'll have to let us know how many bags of leaves you scoop out of there! Good luck. You are in great hands with the folks on this forum; please follow their advice to get the recommended pool test kit so they can guide you in the right direction.