Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello new friends!

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Hello new friends!

Hello everyone. I just created my account here at TFP, and I look forward to reading all the great advice you have to offer.
    Many many years ago as a teenager I started working at a semi-private community pool, roughly 150K gallons. I knew nothing about everything regarding pools or maintenance. After six summers split up between that pool, a smaller public pool, and an indoor Olympic-sized college pool, I finally figured out how to keep them blue. Well, let's fast-forward 10 years... Now, at the age of 32, I am buying a foreclosure with an in-ground swamp. It's painfully obvious that this has been neglected for many months, but I have no way of knowing how long exactly.
    I have not closed on the house yet, but I am under contract. Should be closing in March, and I will post pictures all along the way.
    First steps will be to remove the heavy debris and evict any alligators I may run across. My experience has always been with concrete walls, so my instinct is to drain. But I have read enough on here already to know that is not always the best idea. So I'm going to treat it, hopefully I won't drop a ton of cash on chemicals only to learn of a bad liner once I can see the second step.
    Anyways, that's me and my start. I look forward to reading and learning from everyone here!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello new friends!

Welcome to the forum. Start looking for a good sale on bleach! Do yourself a favor and order one of our recommended test kits so you can SLAM it properly.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

With a swamp to clear, I highly recommend the TF-100 test kit with the XL option and Speed Stir ... best investment you can make to help you get to a sparkling pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Fouts,
    Welcome to TFP get yourself a good test kit
    www.tftestkits.net (you will need the XL option)

and SLAM that baby! Read this and follow some links to useful tools and references that you will need
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...parkling-Oasis
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forums.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum

Glad you found TFP!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

As soon as you can take a pic or two of your swamp. We LOVE good stories!

We can help you clear your pool.

Your next step will be to order a good test kit. You really need to get the TF-100XL to do what you need to do.

Let us know as soon as you close.

oh and go looking for your best price on bleach/chlorine. Some fine it at Walmart, some at the pool store (chlorine is the only think you will need to buy from them), Ace Hardware is another good source.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I have my home inspection today. So I will snap some pics while I am there.
    I am thinking I might check out the local Costco or Sams Club for bleach.

11. Back To Top    #11

You will get lots of help here and your pool will be a joy! Nice to see Ringgold represented! I lived there for a short while teaching at Dalton HS. Welcome!

12. Back To Top    #12

Check if any of the pool stores sell bulk liquid chlorine ... that is usually the best deal, if you have it available.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I look forward to seeing the transition! Hope the inspection goes well.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

14. Back To Top    #14

Inspection went great. Only a few minor issues to address. Took some time to get pics of the pool for everyone.
    Imgur Album
    Also, is there a page for progress pics? I was going to link to a different thread, but I could not find a page for projects/progress.

15. Back To Top    #15

Boy Howdy you're going to be scooping out schmutz from that pool for quite a few weekends, but it *is* do-able. Consider it good exercise Keep the pics coming!
    I love that your pool is deep enough to have a diving board. I so wish mine did.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

16. Back To Top    #16

FYI, How To Post Pictures

You can start another thread for your clean up effort, or just keep it all here.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

At this point we can only assume it's deep enough. I won't know for sure until I can start cleaning. There might be a car underneath all this mess... I will just have to keep at it until its done.

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow - this just might be one of the all time best cleanup threads if you are able to pull this off. I am astounded at the look of that pool. You'll have to let us know how many bags of leaves you scoop out of there! Good luck. You are in great hands with the folks on this forum; please follow their advice to get the recommended pool test kit so they can guide you in the right direction.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

19. Back To Top    #19

You might want to invest in a roll-up cover for next fall to protect what will be a sparkling clear pool!!!