Question about SWG and other options

Apr 13, 2013
Hi all,

First, this will be for an agp but that shouldnt matter.

The pool is about 9000 gallons and i am looking for a way to sanitize my pool and have come up with these options and was looking for some input from people that have used them.

1. inline SWG (probably hayward aquatrol)
2. inline liquid chlorinator
3. Spectralight inline UV system

Cost is not really an issue I have a friend who is a pb so i can get all of these at cost (for example i can get the SWG and UV for about the same price.

I am looking for the best overall method, but if you have pros and cons please let me know.

I have used the BBB and an swg method before so no matter what there wont be pool store junk involved.

Thanks
G

P.S.
This forum rocks.

1 & 2 are both good. SWGs are a bit more common/straightforward, while most liquid chlorine feed systems are a bit more of a semi-custom install situation, but ultimately both work very well.

UV is not a sanitizer. You would need to use something that was a sanitizer in addition. And since the common sanitizers are just fine alone there really isn't any point in getting a UV system for an outdoor residential pool.

1 & 2 are both good. SWGs are a bit more common/straightforward, while most liquid chlorine feed systems are a bit more of a semi-custom install situation, but ultimately both work very well.

UV is not a sanitizer. You would need to use something that was a sanitizer in addition. And since the common sanitizers are just fine alone there really isn't any point in getting a UV system for an outdoor residential pool.

true number 3 is not a sanitizer, but supposedly you can run your pool witha .5 FC if you use the UV system?

But out of 1 and 2, you think that a SWG is better?

Anyone used the Aquatrol or have a better solution

thanks
G

The Aquatrol gets good reviews. Do a search on the forum, the search field is near the top right of every page, and you can read many many comments about them. It is not the least expensive choice, but it is solid and reliable and well thought of.

The Aquatrol gets good reviews. Do a search on the forum, the search field is near the top right of every page, and you can read many many comments about them. It is not the least expensive choice, but it is solid and reliable and well thought of.

Thanks the link to the UV discussion was enlightening to sat the least, i had just mentioned it as my buddy who is a highly regarded high end pb mentioned it as a replacement for SWG (he was worried about rust on the agp frame)

I will look up the reviews on the trol

Thanks
G

Thanks the link to the UV discussion was enlightening to sat the least, i had just mentioned it as my buddy who is a highly regarded high end pb mentioned it as a replacement for SWG (he was worried about rust on the agp frame)
nothing against your buddy, but if comments made by many people here are correct most pool builders have very little knowledge of water chemistry. They do what they do best, they build great pools. That he mentioned UV as a replacement for a SWCG shows he fits into this category.

As to rust on the frame, it is going to rust. The finish/coating on the poles will crack and just rain water will start the rust.

nothing against your buddy, but if comments made by many people here are correct most pool builders have very little knowledge of water chemistry. They do what they do best, they build great pools. That he mentioned UV as a replacement for a SWCG shows he fits into this category.

As to rust on the frame, it is going to rust. The finish/coating on the poles will crack and just rain water will start the rust.

I agree. I believe that i am going to go with a hayward aquatrol. (though he is useful for getting me this at wholesale cost :))

Also what would be a good upgraded pump/filter. I currently have a waterway 1hp with a 100lb sand filter. But i would like to get a 2 speed pump and bigger filter. Any suggestions? It does not have to be sand either

Thanks
G

The Pentair SuperFlo and Hayward MaxFlo are both nice pumps that comes in two speed versions. These assume you have an in-ground pool. For an above ground pool instead look at the Hayward Power-Flo Matrix or Pentair OptiFlo.

Sand filters are all fairly similar, just look for something larger than what you have now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.