Pump Issue/Identification

Jan 25, 2015
Portland, Oregon
My pool's pump seems to be leaking from the suction side (air bubbles in pool return), I have noticed that when the pump turns off water will actually burst out of the top of the pump basket area.

When I remove the lid, the Oring is very sticky (like some type of adhesive was put on it).
-Is it normal for the oring to be sticky? If I replace the o ring should I also put the same adhesive on it, or should I completely clean the adhesive from the joint?

I would have replaced the o ring and figured this out by now but I have no idea what size o ring I need because I have no idea what pump it is. I have attached pictures of the pump and a technical sticker, If anyone can ID it for me I would greatly appreciate it (and then i can finally determine which o ring i need!)

Thanks in advance!!
-Fisher

20150113_121608.jpg

5glmomjj3

You would want to get a silicone based lube that is available from most big box stores and or hardware stores. Clean up all the "sticky" you can and lightly lube the new O ring on installation.

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 42
It's a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass or Dura-Glass. The lid O-ring is part number U9-229.

Edit: It might be a Max-E-Glas II or a Dura-Glas II. THE O-ring would be a U9-375.

It is a 7" o ring, so the u9-375 might be it. Is there any other option it might likely be? (I want to be 100% sure before I order it online)

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

You would want to get a silicone based lube that is available from most big box stores and or hardware stores. Clean up all the "sticky" you can and lightly lube the new O ring on installation.

I was planning on using a silicon based o ring lube I use on my paintball o rings (it has the consistency of oil). Is it better to get a silicon lube with a thicker consistency?

I'm not sure it would make a difference between a grease or oil as long as they are both silicone based and not petroleum. As long as it's clean and allows the O ring to move a little to allow it to seal that's all that matters.

There's a pump id plate on the flat part right behind the big clamp. It's silver metal. It's hard to find unless you know it's there. You might need to clean it a bit to read it.

You can see the aluminum id plate in the picture. It's about 1" x 3". The pump model number is stamped into it from the back. The numbers are raised. If you can't read it, you might be able to put a piece of paper over the plate and lightly rub a pencil over it to see if the number will transfer through the paper.

If necessary, you could get both O-rings to see which fits.

There's a pump id plate on the flat part right behind the big clamp. It's silver metal. It's hard to find unless you know it's there. You might need to clean it a bit to read it.

You can see the aluminum id plate in the picture. It's about 1" x 3". The pump model number is stamped into it from the back. The numbers are raised. If you can't read it, you might be able to put a piece of paper over the plate and lightly rub a pencil over it to see if the number will transfer through the paper.

If necessary, you could get both O-rings to see which fits.

The pump model is p4ea6f-187L, so the correct o ring is the U9-375, correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.