Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Issue/Identification

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Issue/Identification

My pool's pump seems to be leaking from the suction side (air bubbles in pool return), I have noticed that when the pump turns off water will actually burst out of the top of the pump basket area.

When I remove the lid, the Oring is very sticky (like some type of adhesive was put on it).
    -Is it normal for the oring to be sticky? If I replace the o ring should I also put the same adhesive on it, or should I completely clean the adhesive from the joint?

I would have replaced the o ring and figured this out by now but I have no idea what size o ring I need because I have no idea what pump it is. I have attached pictures of the pump and a technical sticker, If anyone can ID it for me I would greatly appreciate it (and then i can finally determine which o ring i need!)

Thanks in advance!!
    -Fisher

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Issue/Identification

Welcome to TFP!!!

The o ring should not really be sticky. The use of the wrong type of lube could have made it that way. I suggest you get a new oring and use silicone lube on it.

BTW, no picture showed up for me, could be a firewall issue: How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a bunch! This site has helped me make heads and tails of my pool.

Yeah I noticed that too, I was in the process of fixing that but I now longer see my original post.

Anyway, here are the two pictures I have.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass or Dura-Glass. The lid O-ring is part number U9-229.

Edit: It might be a Max-E-Glas II or a Dura-Glas II. THE O-ring would be a U9-375.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You would want to get a silicone based lube that is available from most big box stores and or hardware stores. Clean up all the "sticky" you can and lightly lube the new O ring on installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    It's a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass or Dura-Glass. The lid O-ring is part number U9-229.

Edit: It might be a Max-E-Glas II or a Dura-Glas II. THE O-ring would be a U9-375.
    It is a 7" o ring, so the u9-375 might be it. Is there any other option it might likely be? (I want to be 100% sure before I order it online)

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    You would want to get a silicone based lube that is available from most big box stores and or hardware stores. Clean up all the "sticky" you can and lightly lube the new O ring on installation.
    I was planning on using a silicon based o ring lube I use on my paintball o rings (it has the consistency of oil). Is it better to get a silicon lube with a thicker consistency?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I'm not sure it would make a difference between a grease or oil as long as they are both silicone based and not petroleum. As long as it's clean and allows the O ring to move a little to allow it to seal that's all that matters.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

There's a pump id plate on the flat part right behind the big clamp. It's silver metal. It's hard to find unless you know it's there. You might need to clean it a bit to read it.

You can see the aluminum id plate in the picture. It's about 1" x 3". The pump model number is stamped into it from the back. The numbers are raised. If you can't read it, you might be able to put a piece of paper over the plate and lightly rub a pencil over it to see if the number will transfer through the paper.

If necessary, you could get both O-rings to see which fits.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    There's a pump id plate on the flat part right behind the big clamp. It's silver metal. It's hard to find unless you know it's there. You might need to clean it a bit to read it.

You can see the aluminum id plate in the picture. It's about 1" x 3". The pump model number is stamped into it from the back. The numbers are raised. If you can't read it, you might be able to put a piece of paper over the plate and lightly rub a pencil over it to see if the number will transfer through the paper.

If necessary, you could get both O-rings to see which fits.

The pump model is p4ea6f-187L, so the correct o ring is the U9-375, correct?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, the U9-375 is the correct O Ring

item 17 on the exploded view.
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-845...ump-parts.aspx
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

You have a Max-E-Glas II.