I have been reading the forum for a while now! I apologize for the semi unorganized post, I just don't know where to begin!
We purchased our home 2 years ago and it has a pool. I don't want to go into all of the failures we have had over the last 2 years but keeping the pool in check has been a struggle with so much bad advice from the pool store. We are looking for a fresh start for this season.
1) Our pump recently (days before xmas) failed. I realize it was probably a poor choice to wait this long, but we just didnt have the extra funds for the pool pump after xmas and after a major sewer line repair in early Jan. (being able to flush my toilet and take a shower took precedence) Needless to say, the pool is a mess now after the awful winds we have had the last few days. Last week it was semi-ok (I kept it clear of debris).
Back to the pump- it is a Hayward 0.5 HP Northstar single speed and we will be replacing it with either a Pentair Intelliflo VS or Superflo VS, I think the repair guy suggested a 1.5 HP. Would you recommend one over the other? We have no water features or spa.
2) We will be draining the pool (salt level is too high & lack of maintenance since the pump failure) within the next week. Do I drain and replace he water before we install the new pump? or after?
3) The SWG no longer works (salt cell is bad and the controller screen no longer works) and I think we are ready to abandon the whole salt system. System specs are Hayward H-40 Chlorine generator. Any pros or cons against this?
4) I will be ordering the TF-100 Test Kit today so I can have it by the time we are up and running again.
5) What else do I need to purchase for the new water? I've been trying to read through pool school.
I attached pics in case it will help with any advice.
Thank you, I'm so lost!