looking to add Salt Chlorine Generator to pool

surferbum

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2013
North Scottsdale
I am looking to add a salt chlorine generator to our pool. Have been doing the maintenance for the last 6 months and everything is fine but I have a few extended trips coming up and will add this bit of automation.

I have read the threads here about the Pentair system. Am currently getting some quotes on the purchase, install and start-up. The original thought was to add Pentair's IC40 system & their IntelliChem (1 Pump and 1 Acid) system. The idea was this would connect to our existing EasyTouch 4 system and be a complete automation system. I talked to the company which installed our solar and they recommend the Resilience model A5 system. They said there is little need to adjust the salt cell (twice a year) and pH movement is typically small (and easily controlled by hand like I do now).

As usual, everyone has their favorites with what seems like legitimate arguments to why theirs is best.

Would like to get people's most current answers to the following questions:

1. Pentair system or Resilience, which one is better for Scottsdale, AZ?
  2. Do people rarely adjust their salt water generator in areas like Scottsdale?
  3. Our pool is 14,000 gallons and recommendations for Scottsdale is to size it 2-3x the rating. Is this a good rule-of-thumb?
  4. Does anyone in my area have any recommendation for a particular reliable company for the purchase/install? (PM me)

Thanks.

The use of a SWG will actually cause the pH to rise faster than what you are currently seeing. If you are able to lower the TA and optionally add borates, then you may be able to get the pH to stabilize.

1. Since you have an Easy Touch, I would go with the Pentair SWG.
2. Once you learn the pool, there is very little adjustment needed. But, you need to be testing fairly often still to make sure things are going smoothly. You will certainly need to lower the SWG output in the cooler winter months. BTW, we do NOT recommend the use of ORP sensors for outdoor pools due to CYA interference. So if you want pH automated dosing, look at the IntellipH and NOT the IntelliChem (or get the later and not use the ORP part of it).
3. Yes a 2-3X would be a good size. Likely you should go with the 40k size.
4. Not interesting is installing it yourself? It is not very hard.

I installed the IC40 last year (replaced a pool frog and UV system that to pb suckered me into...if I only knew then what I know now). I'm in Phoenix and have a similar sized pool and had no issues maintaining FC levels the entire year. As jblizzle mentioned above, you'll need to check your ph on a regular basis. I got my TA down to between 70 and 75 and it helped. I'm considering adding borates this year to try and stabilize the ph. If I remember correctly I was adding a little acid about every other day or so. I don't have a heater so I replace the salt cell with the bypass pipe when the water gets below 60 degrees and use liquid bleach to maintain FC.

Also, as mentioned above, the IC40 is an easy install if you're a do-it-yourselfer.

I didn't consider using either the Intellichem or Intelliph systems. I have a Jandy controller/power center and thought about going with the Jandy SWG but after doing a lot of research I settled on the pentair IC40 as it seemed to get better reviews and since it has a built in controller, I didn't really need to upgrade to a Pentair controller. I'm using the Pentair 520556 Intellichlor power center for my setup.

I didn't consider using either the Intellichem or Intelliph systems. I have a Jandy controller/power center and thought about going with the Jandy SWG but after doing a lot of research I settled on the pentair IC40 as it seemed to get better reviews and since it has a built in controller, I didn't really need to upgrade to a Pentair controller. I'm using the Pentair 520556 Intellichlor power center for my setup.

I assume you realize at this point that without an external controller, you can only change the % output in increments of 20% (instead of the 1-5% with a controller). This may or may not make a little more difficult to dial in the right FC level. Just figured I would mention it for anyone else reading this.

I assume you realize at this point that without an external controller, you can only change the % output in increments of 20% (instead of the 1-5% with a controller). This may or may not make a little more difficult to dial in the right FC level. Just figured I would mention it for anyone else reading this.

Yes, and good point for anyone else reading/considering this. Takes a little extra effort playing with SWG settings and pump run times but certainly doable. Just replaced a single speed pump with a VS pump so I get to do it all over again.

One thing to mention regarding Pentair's cells is that they typically are at the higher end of the spectrum as far as replacement cost is concerned. This is due to not only replacing the cell but also some of the electronics (the controls).

Is there any residential ways to add bleach or chlorine like you do with acid via the Pentair IntelliChem box. I looked at some posts in the website but they are all a few years old and doesn't look like there's anybody that makes such an item. There are some solutions and put tablets but I'm looking for something you might have a liquid reservoir that's not a commercial product.

You can use either the Liquidator or a Stenner pump to automatically add bleach. They are usually timer based and not sensor based because the ORP sensors tend to not work well in outdoor pools. Definitely avoid the tablet feeders though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use either the Liquidator or a Stenner pump to automatically add bleach. They are usually timer based and not sensor based because the ORP sensors tend to not work well in outdoor pools. Definitely avoid the tablet feeders though.

I'm just looking for a system for 2 to 3 weeks coverage while I might be traveling. It looks like the Stenner solution might work for this rather than ask my neighbor (or hire a pool service) to dump X ounces of chlorine every third day in the pool. I'm a little concerned about the temperature extremes in the summer here causing the chlorine to the degrade in the reservoir. The Stenner injection pump looks a lot simpler than installing a saltwater generator cell with the appropriate power supply etc. I don't think my pH would change that much in the 2-3 weeks so I don't know if I needed an acid injection system.

1. Is the ORP sensor (IntelliChem) reliable if I'm using liquid chlorine and a Stenner pump for chlorine injection?

2. Am I missing something or is this Stenner pump the perfect solution to my problem?

1. No. The ORP sensor does not seem to work well on outdoors pools. The CYA level seems to mess with it, which is worse for SWG levels.

2. Depends if you want to continue to haul bleach or not. Realize needing to add between 1-3ppm of FC everyday is typical, erring on the high end, that is 63 oz of 8.25% bleach every day x 3 weeks = 1323 oz or just a little over 10 gallons. You just need to make sure your tank is big enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.