Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air in filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in filter

How much air should be in the filter?
    When I open the pressure valve (with pump off) it always has air to release. Is this normal or should it be minimal? I assume it has some air creating pressure but how much is normal?
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in filter

Shouldn't be any. What does your strainer basket look like?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If the pump is off, then there is no pressure in the filter or anywhere else in the system. The air you are hearing is being sucked in due to the water then being allowed to drain out of the filter.

To check for air in the filter, the pump should be running and you should open the air release valve to see if any air comes out or if only water shoots out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What he said - need the pump running. Otherwise you're just hearing the air going into the filter as the weight of the water pulls it back into the pool.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok.
    Sometimes there is some air when the pump is running too. Could this be air I allowed into the system by opening the filter gauge when pump is not running?
    First time pool owner trying to maintain myself. Just concerned.
    There are a few bubbles in pump strainer. Had a pentair service guy out once for something else and he thought there may be a hairline crack in pump basket lid. He said he ordered a new one but hasn't been back yet. It was a couple weeks ago.
    I also sometimes see some small bubbles out of return. I have a salt water chlorinator and acid dispenser if that helps.
    Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

A SWG can also have air bubbles show up in the pool ... mine certainly does.
    Just open the filter air valve after the pump has been on for awhile and see if any air comes out ... while the pump is running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Sometimes yes sometimes no.
    I'll leave it alone for s couple days and check it again while running and see.

8. Back To Top    #8

I checked again with pump running. No air.
    Thanks for the input.

9. Back To Top    #9

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Sometimes, air bubbles returning to the pool can be caused by debris clogging the pump impeller.
    With the pump OFF remove the lid and basket and feel for debris in the impeller with your fingers.
    You can also open the air valve on the filter and see if the the back flow of water dislodges anything from the impeller.

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks.
    the bubbles don't always come out of returns just sometimes. I would think they would be constant in a situation such as you describe.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you seen that the bubbles are only occurring when the SWG is generating?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

How can I tell? By turning it off?
    I assume it's constanyly generating when it's getting flow.

14. Back To Top    #14

I only see bubbles in the return when the SWG is making chlorine and the pump is on low speed. When the pump is on high speed I will not get bubbles from the SWG.

Right now I believe your SWG % is 25%, from another thread, so it is only making chlorine 25% of the time that the pump is running.

It sounds like your system is in good shape.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

That is not how SWG work. The % setting is the amount of time in some given period (usually 1-2 hours I think) that the SWG is generating. You can override it by setting the % to 100% and it will always be generating or set it to 0% and it will never be generating. Or I would there is some indicator on it to let you know when it is actually generating.

But, since you have never filled out your signature, I have no idea what equipment you have.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Details are in my signature. I think that when I post from my iPhone they don't show up for some reason.
    I do see them in a post above.
    Full penair automation including ic40 and intelliph.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ah you are right. When on your phone, how do you access the forum?

My signature always shows up when I use my phone with an old version of Tapatalk
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by dumbcluck View Post
    Details are in my signature. I think that when I post from my iPhone they don't show up for some reason.
    I do see them in a post above.
    Full penair automation including ic40 and intelliph.
    I can see your sig using Tapatalk.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't use tapatalk

20. Back To Top    #20

Is it odd that my filter reads differently from day to day?
    Some days it's at 3 others 6 or 5. Not necessarily heading in one direction but varying from day to day. Always within 3 psi from each other. Shouldn't it be a constant?
    Is this indicative of a problem or does it seem ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast