Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: South Mississippi pool build - DONE!!

1. Back To Top    #1

South Mississippi pool build - DONE!!

After many months of research, my wife and I have finally signed a contract for a pool install. We decided on a 18'x38' rectangular pool from 3' to 6' in depth. The shallow end will have radius steps in one corner and a bench from the steps to the to the other end of the shallow section. Options include Pebble Sheen, VS pump, cartridge filter, and SWG. To help keep costs down, the coping is bull nosed brick, and the light in incandescent. We are still undecided on decking, but I'm leaning towards pavers. Construction starts in late March, and I will be posting pictures as that build progresses.
    Last edited by T5killer; 07-12-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Updating build thread

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Finally signed a contract - South Mississippi

No reason to wait with the pictures. How about a few before shots of the yard? Your pool sounds like a southern cousin to ours design wise.

Congratulations on diving in!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi T5,
    welcome to TFP and congrats on the new toy!

hang around and check us out. Let us know if we can be of any help with any questions you might have.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats good luck don't forget to post pics
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats on the new build! With the bullnose coping, you'll like the pavers for the deck. It'll be a smooth visual transition from the pool to the deck. Ask the builder if he will be using polymeric sand or plain sand in the paver joints.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Earlier this week, the PB staked out the pool, did an elevation survey, and did some grading in the backyard. I figured I'd post a few photos too.
    Before shot.before.jpg

Had to move the kid's play house to mark out the pool.2.jpg

It looks a lot bigger on the ground than it did on paper.3.jpg
    18'x38' IG gunite, 3.5'-6', Hayward VSP. Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward PL-Plus SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner equipped with Polar PB4-60 pressure assist pump, and Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec.

7. Back To Top    #7

Congrats! Man, your yard is gonna be a mess for a while, but it will be worth it.

And yeah, a 38x18 is a pretty good size pool!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

SWEET! Let the fun (and mess) begin!

I love the happy dance "in" the pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Just one thought for you on the benches. Our steps and bench across the shallow end are identical to yours as are the shape and overall dimensions. You might consider having the shallow end bench continue around the corner for 6' or so. Ours does and we like it because it provides in pool seating that faces back towards the out of pool seating areas and it also faces the steps making for easy face to face talking while seated. Your bench will be great either way but just a thought. My signature has a link to pictures of your future pool.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Digging started on Monday and finished on Tuesday. Rebar, lights, and plumbing rough-in were completed on Wednesday. No progress was made on Thursday, but the shot-crete was applied on Friday. Plumbing begins on Monday.

shotcrete pump.jpg

shotcrete installed.JPG
    18'x38' IG gunite, 3.5'-6', Hayward VSP. Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward PL-Plus SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner equipped with Polar PB4-60 pressure assist pump, and Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec.

11. Back To Top    #11

One of those all or nothing kinds of deals huh?

What fun!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: South Mississippi pool build - DONE!!

It has been a while since I updated, but the pool has been completed, and the family has been swimming for about 3 weeks.

Forming for the brushed finish cement deck.

IMG_2437.jpg

Cement deck finished.

IMG_2601.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

13. Back To Top    #13

Due to a work emergency, I had to work the night before the Pebble Tec was scheduled to be installed. I arrived home at 07:30, and the installation crew had already started the application process.

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

When I woke up about 8 hours later, they were pretty much done! I would show you a picture of the completed Pebble Tec, but I'm having technical difficulties with my MacBook.

We started filling the pool the next day. Two hoses from my house and two hoses from my neighbor's house. The fill took about 24 hours to complete.

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

The water was definitely green in color immediately after the initial fill.

IMG_2686.jpg

This last picture is after about a week. The water turned a nice shade of blue and is extremely clear.

IMG_2752.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Beautiful pool! And your house is lovely, too! Your coping goes nicely with your house. Nice change in water color!
    Take care.
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

16. Back To Top    #16

So sweet of your neighbor to let you use their water and hoses!

That is a wonderful looking pool and deck! I bet you are loving it!

Nice looking water you ended up with!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Beautiful pool! And your house is lovely, too! Your coping goes nicely with your house.
    Suz.
    I second that! Wow, the colors are perfect! Nice job. You have so much deck space too, that is going to be great! Enjoy!
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

18. Back To Top    #18

Very nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!