Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool high ph

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool high ph

I am a 1st time new pool owner of about 2 months. I am experiencing my ph rising continuously. Is this normal and will it settle down eventually for this plaster pebblesheen pool? All my readings seem good. I have a waterfall which I hardly run and a spa spill over that spills over into the pool which I run the pool filter pump 8 hrs a day on low 1725 rpm so it is more of a tricle over. I'm having to add a pint or two of acid about every 5 days to try to get ph down from 7.8-8 to 7.4-7.6.

I just took my readings using a taylor k2006 test kit

FC 1.6
    Cc o
    TA 90-100
    CH. 300
    Cya. 50-55
    Nov 2014 - 25,000 IG Freeform 3.5'-7' w/ 18" Spa, 7 Ton Rock Waterfall, Bordeaux PebbleSheen, UV & Corona Discharge Ozone, HC-3315 Chlorinator, Jandy CV580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400K Heater, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Jandy LED Pool2 & Spa1, AquaLink PDA
    Jandy JEP2.0VS (Filter), Jandy SHPM2.5 (Spa), Jandy FHPM1.5 (Waterfall), Polaris PB4-60 (Booster) - 2006C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool high ph

A pint or two every 5 days is no big deal. A new plaster pool will tend to have pH rise for the first year. A spillway will also cause the rise. Just stay on it and the TA will slowly drop and the pH will stabilize.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with John. That isn't an amount for concern at all.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that and hoping to hear the same responses you gave. I am hoping it will stabilize at some point but in the mean time I am having fun running the test myself and seeing the effects of adding chemicals to get the desired results I want and need. I will just stay on it a couple times a week. One thing I have learned and am a true believer of is that a good test kit is essential to doing this yourself. I have taken two samples on the same day to two different pool stores of the same chain and got completely different results. I don't trust the pool stores readings!
    Nov 2014 - 25,000 IG Freeform 3.5'-7' w/ 18" Spa, 7 Ton Rock Waterfall, Bordeaux PebbleSheen, UV & Corona Discharge Ozone, HC-3315 Chlorinator, Jandy CV580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400K Heater, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Jandy LED Pool2 & Spa1, AquaLink PDA
    Jandy JEP2.0VS (Filter), Jandy SHPM2.5 (Spa), Jandy FHPM1.5 (Waterfall), Polaris PB4-60 (Booster) - 2006C

5. Back To Top    #5

What you have experienced with the pool store's different test results is not uncommon. Trust your testing and keep all your parameters within TFP recommended ranges and you'll be fine.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Calleblanc77 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that and hoping to hear the same responses you gave. I am hoping it will stabilize at some point but in the mean time I am having fun running the test myself and seeing the effects of adding chemicals to get the desired results I want and need. I will just stay on it a couple times a week. One thing I have learned and am a true believer of is that a good test kit is essential to doing this yourself. I have taken two samples on the same day to two different pool stores of the same chain and got completely different results. I don't trust the pool stores readings!
    That's terrific! A lot of people here wind up feeling the same way and find it pretty rewarding testing and doing their own chemistry. I do for sure, and actually enjoy it. Unfortunately, you story with the store results is too common, but it sounds like you know all about that now. Glad you're aboard, and we hope you continue to stick around and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I was adding 2 quarts of MA a week after my fill. Now about 2 cups.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

8. Back To Top    #8

Is that FC a little low?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Is that FC a little low?
    The manufacturer of the uv / ozone system recommends to keep it at .5-1ppm. I'll give it a try and see what happens. It has only been about 3 months but everything seems good so far and it has been staying under 2ppm. I am going to get away from the trichlor pucks and go liquid chlorine not to mess with my other readings.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry. Didn't notice the Ozone system in your signature (it's a long one). Outta my league here!