Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long to run the pump a day?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long to run the pump a day?

I'm down in southwest Parrish,Fl. and its been kind of chilly here this winter about 50-70 degrees and we are not using the pool now so I'm keeping it heated to about 60 for now till it warms up more. Since I'm new to owning a pool here I have only been filtering it about 6-7 hours a day. haven't had to do much to keep it clear so far just putting in some bleach once a week and some Muriatic acid trying to lower the PH down a bit after some rain.
    Last test from the pool store the TC 5.0. FC 5.0,CC 0.0,pH 8.0 acid demand 2, TA 90 CH375 Stabilizer 140 total dissolved solids is 1,100 ppm.That is According to their tests though.I just ordered my own Taylor K2006 kit the other day and a new filter.I was just wandering if what I'm doing for now is OK or should I run the filter for a longer or shorter time.I'm sure when it gets hotter and we start using it Ill have to do it longer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Long to run the pump a day?

The short answer is as little as it takes. There is no set requirement other than getting enough chlorine in the pool so as long as you do that, you can run it for as short as you want.

I only run about 4 hours in the heat of the summer (100+) and have had no issues what so ever. I would probably run shorter if my SWG could keep up.

Pump Run Time
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Why keep the pool heated when you're not using it? Start with 6 hours in summer and see how your water likes it. Even split up run times if you have a timer on it. Down size that if you can.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks and good answer Sir and I was thinking that myself and I just set the heater on 50 the other day so it's not kicking on the heater now as long as it stays there. Ill wait till it warms up and we want to use it more.Then move it up to what we like it at.I also set the pump timer to 4 hrs a day for now and I haven't added anymore tabs in it since we been here either.Just trying the get the levels inline for now and get a new filters, since the one that was in there was in kinda bad condition when I cleaned it.I think it was from when the pool was built in 2010 or they never cleaned it the pressure is at 13 now on the gauge since I cleaned it.Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum Sarge, and thank you for your service.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I run my pump for 4 hours or so a day. Just enough to turn the water over. I have no vegetation around my pool that would require more. Every pool is different so there is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on your pool. Find out what works best for you at the minimum.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Sgt!
    yeah, what others said for pump run time. Largely, the turnover rate often mentioned is mythical. If you keep your water parameters in check per TFP recommendations, then the water will be clear.
    Only about 1% of debris which is in the water is actually in the water column. For the most part, Its either on the top, or on the bottom.

Run it long enough for good circulation and to keep stuff floating on the surface skimmed off and keep the bottom clean and you wont have any worries with clarity.

Me, I run my pump quite a bit because there is LOTS of pampa grass seeds and other stuff from all the tress that get in my water, and I like my water pretty!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The short answer is as little as it takes. There is no set requirement other than getting enough chlorine in the pool so as long as you do that, you can run it for as short as you want.
    ^^What he said.

I have a manually-chlorinated pool (e.g., no SWG). I run my pump manually on an as-needed basis - no automatic timers unless I'm out of town. Unlike last winter, temps have stayed above freezing a majority of the time even at night this year. As a result, I have been able to go nearly a week between pump runs this off-season. The water parameters have stayed in-check. When I do have to add chlorine, I run the pump while adding it and then for about a half-hour or so after adding it. I will run it daily during the swim season but, even then, it's usually for only an hour or two a day - more after pool parties or when an unusually high amount of debris gets blown in.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm in Seminole, FL. Water temps been sound 60 to 65 for the last 3 weeks. I've been running 2 hrs in the morning and 1 in the evening since the end of October with no issues. Just adding about 40oz Cl and 6 MA per week.

Mike
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mikech View Post
    I'm in Seminole, FL. Water temps been sound 60 to 65 for the last 3 weeks. I've been running 2 hrs in the morning and 1 in the evening since the end of October with no issues. Just adding about 40oz Cl and 6 MA per week.Mike
    Just goes to show, it can be successful. That's good to hear.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine runs 1 hour in the morning and 2 in the evening. My SWG is too big for my pool so I can produce all the Cl I need in probably 1 or 2 hours pump time, which I'll cut back to in winter. My rule is keep reducing your pump time, if you start seeing floaties in the water then increase it till it clears, find a balance then.

12. Back To Top    #12

What are floaties? I hope not a dumb question...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

13. Back To Top    #13

floaties are small debris that floats on top of the water. Plant seeds, fuzzy things, small leaves, bug wings all come to mind as examples

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

OK, Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

15. Back To Top    #15

In the last few days since it's getting even colder in the 40s. I set my pump to run for only 2 hours a day. I just want to see what the water looks like after a few days, since I'm under a birdcage I don't get much in the water just dust.Also I reset the temp to 50 so I'm not wasting money heating it stays cold IT might just kick on the heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

This may seem obvious, but once it starts to warm up a bit, plan on testing and adding bleach more often than once a week. Plan on daily at first until you learn what kind of chlorine demand is normal.

And thanks for your service.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    Haha yeah sorry, as Divin Dave said anything that floats in or on the water that needs to be removed by the filter, hair, leaves, dirt etc etc if you still have a lot of it then you need to up your pump time.