Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: String lights near pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb String lights near pool?

Looking through Pinterest I saw a couple of neat pool ideas using string lights on the fence surrounding the pool. Some of them uses the string lights over the pool (they look to be about 8 feet or so up). Coming from someone who *does not* understand electricity and all things related.....isn't that unsafe? I would love to border the fence surrounding our AG pool with lights but it will be within about 2 feet of the pool. I would think electricity+large vessel of water filled with people might be a frowned upon scenario. But Pinterest makes it look so doable!

Anyone care to enlighten me (maybe a pun intended)?
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: String lights near pool?

Ah, yup that could be unsafe and in violation of the electrical codes. Pretty sure you are not supposed to have any high-voltage (120V) lights within 5 feet around the pool. Not sure what the rules are for draping over the pool, but sure seems like a bad idea.

Edit: Here are the codes. Looks like within 5' horizontally of the pool, the light must be at least 12' above the water level with some other requirements as well.

http://www.topshammaine.com/vertical...tallations.pdf
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I was assuming there wasn't some magically safe way to pull that off. I guess we will have to find some other way to light up the area. I am sure Tiki torches nearby would give a siimilar effect. And really, there only a handful of days around here you would want to be swimming after the sun goes down. SW Washington isn't exactly known for its blazing temperatures.

Night swimming=good. Electrocution= Bad.
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, a Zodiac G3, and my TF-100!

4. Back To Top    #4

The simple rule of thumb for lights is 10 feet horizontally from the water. There are some exceptions, for example 5 feet away when high up and permanently mounted, or even higher up permanently mounted and above the water, but for most people most of the time 10 feet horizontally is the correct way to think about it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah i found out about the 10 feet rule for landscape lights after reading in the forums here. I had some some great looking LED harbor style lights to go in my landscape area but they were 4 to 5 feet from water. Now they light a stone path behind the landscape at exactly 10 feet from waters edge. Not as nice looking as i had them at first but still somewhat effective. I did put up some cafe string light but they do not go right over the pool but from 9ft to 12ft eaves on the house.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

This thread has got me thinking....are the requirements the same for any type of lights? For example, does the code apply equally to 110V ac lights (plugged into a wall outlet) and 12V dc landscaping lights (plugged into a transformer)? I haven't put in any yard lighting yet--and I don't think the 10-foot requirement will cause me any design issues--but it's definitely on the schedule for this summer.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

I think 12v lights have to be even further from the pool... Outside of 10 feet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!