Questions about new pool

Apr 13, 2013
I have just purchased a new 18 foot ultra frame pool and have a couple of questions.

First, i have a waterway 1/2 hp pump with 100lb sand filter is this sufficient? As i do not want to use the sand filter that came with the pool.

Second is putting gorilla mat under the pool worth it as i just used sand on my previous pool?

Are their any auto pool cleaners that work aquabug? polaris?

Does anyone know of a good latter that has the safety thing over the outside steps?

Thanks
G

Hi Germando,

I have the 18 foot ultra frame rectangle pool... I love it... My pump is a 0.75hp and I've gone with a 100sq foot cartridge filter.....

I didn't put anything underneath my pool, between the ground and the pool except the ground cover that came with it... Its starting to deteriorate, and the small pieces are ending up in my pool.... :-( I'll be cutting the rest away on the weekend...

I find I don't need an automatic pool cleaner, I vacuum every 2-3 days, and because I keep a solar cover on it every night, not much debris gets into my pool... :)

I'm in Australia and resin ladders here are super expensive, but Amazon have a great range and it will only get better the closer your summer gets....

Hope this has helped.... :)

Debris will not be much of an issue i am just lazy :D. I will check amazon i was just wondering if anyone had a good or bad experience with a particular one.

Does anyone know of a good inline chlorinator or SWG? I have not decided on salt or chlorine and have used both, just wanting to get some ideas of what everyone has used and likes

Also I am in texas and as soon as summer hits we will be 100+ for months
Thanks
G

I have the smaller pool and love it - I know nothing about the SWG's although I did read an earlier topic on rust and most people thought it was the SWG that was causing it. So far, I've not noticed any rust on my pool and I use a sand filter.

I used a very heavy duty tarp under the pool and also used one on top, although like you, with the weather in the 100's you don't need it on at night - except to stop the leaves etc. It's surprising how much can blow into a pool in less than a week. I also use the vacuum that came with the pool it works with the filter and does a pretty good job, although I'm not too impressed with the fine stuff it lets through.

You'd have read on here that getting teh site level is the most important thing and I can vouch for that, mine was uneven and had to be drained and re leveled it's still not perfect. I made the stupid beginners mistake of adding soil at one end instead of removing it at the high end - consequently, the topped up end sank badly.

Re the ladder, the outside steps on mine come off - it is a bit tricky sometimes and can be a pain - plus the cover doesn't fit properly, so Laceygirls suggestion of taking the ladder out after every swim is what I'm going to do.

Phew, who knew I knew so much - only had my pool since November lol

The aqua bug gets really good reviews but I found an open box Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark and could not resist the price so I bought it. March will be a year and it works great. I like it best because there is only one moving part, which means less to break and less to replace.

When my pool was installed, the gorilla pad was put underneath. Nothing has come through in the year it has been up but, if I ever do it again, I will put down foam because it make a huge difference in how nice the bottom feels. The gorilla pad does not provide any cushion.

Oh wow, I LOVE that little shark - just watched a youtube video, it's so cute and looks like it wold do a great job. Shame it works out at about $350 over here though.

On the up side, my nephew has always wanted to swim with sharks - this wold be one way to keep him happy lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.