Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP NEEDED! - Pool Renovation in New Mexico

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP NEEDED! - Pool Renovation in New Mexico

Hi all,

As promised in an earlier thread, I'm going to start detailing my pool renovation here. I would sincerely appreciate any comments/concerns about the build as you all have far more information than I do about what is proper and what is not. This pool came with a recently purchased home and I wanted to give it an update to start off fresh. To give you an idea of the scope of the project, this is what we've got: What started out as a simple replaster has turned into a much more expansive project. Once the pool guys started "peeling the onion" so to speak, they discovered some previously undetected/undisclosed issues. Among those issues, leaking spa lines, cracked skimmers, rotted wood box for auto cover, and most importantly, the pool was out of level. So the plan now is to completely tear out the pool deck, raise the far end up by a couple of inches to level, new plaster, new tile, new filter, new pool decking. Needless to say, the cost has tripled from the initial scope of work. I'll start out with some pictures.

IMG_0291.jpgIMG_0418.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0432.jpgIMG_0431.jpg

The first pic is what the pool looked like before the renovations started. The next two pictures were taken after the tile had been removed and plaster chipped out. The final two pictures are after the PB put some sort of coating (bonding agent?) over the concrete. The guy working today said they will be putting another substance (he didn't know the technical name of it) over the green stuff and then another coat or 2 of green stuff. I've not seen this in any of the other build/remodel threads, so I'm really at a loss as to what's going on. Anyway, please feel free to comment, provide suggestions, or scream STOP! haha. Thanks everyone!
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool in New Mexico

That is a really nice looking house ... and is that a vineyard beyond the pool? Looks like it is going to be a great pool area too
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey jblizzle, thank you for the compliments! Yes, it is a vineyard. I have an agreement with a local winery in the area whereby they provide the water & care for the field and then get the grapes at the end of the year. They make some very good wine. It's a great deal b/c I basically break even financially but I get to look out onto some beautiful grapevines for most of the spring/summer/fall.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Very nice! I love Restos/Mods.

What part of NM are you in?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profileas described HERE as it may help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I am just outside Albuquerque in the North Valley area. I will add it to my profile. I'm getting excited for the pool to be finished and I think the timing will work out great; hopefully it will all be done right as pool season is starting up!

7. Back To Top    #7

That would be great. Wishing you the best of luck on that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha! You look like a spooky ghost of Pool Past in pic #2!

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL, you are right! You'd think I was wearing Ebenezer's nightshirt from that shadow. I wasn't.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

naw, looks more like the grim reaper with his sickle

11. Back To Top    #11

Still spooky! Yikes! Keep us updated, Spook!

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome fellow NM'er! I know the area you are in and it looks like a great place to chill and hang by the pool. Good luck on your project, it looks like a big one!

J.

p.s. looks like the light is in the far side of the pool shining at the house, there might not be another option but you might want to see what is possible so you don't have to stare into that light from your beautiful home!
    In New Mexico 20'x36'/3.5' to 8.5'/32,000 gallon/IG gunite/plaster
    Pentair WFE-4 pump/Pentair CC420 cartridge filter/Raypak 266A heater
    2 Pentair Intellibrite LED's/6 Aqua arches
    Coverpools cover with hidden lid
    1,500 sq ft stamped concrete deck
    Polaris robot
    TF100

13. Back To Top    #13

Savagesix, that's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of that before. I think it's probably too late at this point to do anything about it, but I will certainly ask!

Where in NM are you?

14. Back To Top    #14

How deep will your new pool be? I can tell you that our pool is only 4ft 10 inches in the deep end and everyone who comes over here wish that their pool was a shallow one too. In fact 2 of our friends have already rerenovated their pool and made it shallowler. They all like the fact that they can stand up in all parts of the pool.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

15. Back To Top    #15

Brentr, It is a sports pool, so it goes something like 3.5'-5.5'-4'. We don't do any diving or have a slide, so this setup will be perfect. I agree it makes it comfortable when you have several people lounging around so everyone has a place to get.

16. Back To Top    #16

PoolESQ, we are in Rio Rancho and coming up on our third full season of pool ownership. We love every minute of it, well at least when it is open, not when I am staring at it in the winter. Good luck!

J.
    Polaris robot
    TF100

17. Back To Top    #17

That's awesome! We are almost neighbors then, haha. It's always nice to see someone else from NM on these forums - pools and/or participation on this forum is pretty low from fellow New Mexicans. Out of curiosity, what do you consider your pool season to be? I try to open from April - September, but April can be iffy depending on the spring wind. I always get overly ambitious in the spring as I'm ready for some warm weather. We've been fortunate the last few weeks here with temps in the near 70s. Sure beats snowy Februarys!

18. Back To Top    #18

We go end of April through early October. Spring winds are no fun, we keep the autocover shut unless we are in it to keep it clean/warm. Water is chilly until Memorial Day, we push it as far as we can into October because the boys have football/baseball and like it after practice/games.

J.
    Polaris robot
    TF100

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi all, just a quick update with a few pics to show the progress. The tile has been 90% installed. Had to quit because they ran out of bullnose tiles to complete the job so more are on order. Although we've been having great weather in NM recently (high 60s/low 70s) we are expecting a downturn soon that may delay progress. I don't want the plaster applied on a cold day and am in no rush to get this done anytime soon so I think patience will pay off. For those interested, the tile is Geosheen in Geo Blue 6x6. They've used a dark blue for the grout.

IMG_0454.jpg

Keep getting an upload failure message when I try to attach additional pics. Once I get this figured out, I will insert the most recent couple of pics.

20. Back To Top    #20

There is a tutorial in the forum help area on how to attach more pictures to your posts. You either need to become a supporter or host them elsewhere and link to them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast