Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intelliflo VF in VS mode

1. Back To Top    #1

Intelliflo VF in VS mode

I was wondering if it is possible to run the Intelliflo VF by schedule and RPM rather than schedule and flow rate? I realize I can get to the RPM in "manual mode" but I can't set it to a particular RPM on a schedule.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intelliflo VF in VS mode

Welcome to TFP!

No, not when using the internal timer. External controllers can access VS mode, but the internal timer doesn't seem to be able to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi JasonLion,

Thanks for the welcome and the answer.

Ugh, OK I'll take a look to figure out my options for an (inexpensive) external controller. I've got an older pool with 1.5 inch plumbing and it's been very hit and miss on it not coming on properly when trying to detect prime and flow. Maybe possible to disable all those safety sensors?

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried reducing the flow rate of the prime mode? With 1.5" pipe I would keep both prime and max flow below 50 GPM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Mark,

I looked up the settings I had on it from some documentation (I'm at work right now). Looks like I had:
    Max Priming Flow = 30 GPM
    Max Priming Time = 8 Min.
    System Priming Time = 0 Min.
    Clean Filter Pressure = 20 PSI

I was never able to find any sweet spot (without priming issues or filter issues) for it so I ended up just setting it to a low RPM and leave it on 24/7. My pool is crystal clear, so that's nice, but this setup is (I assume) an overkill in the winter.

6. Back To Top    #6

30 GPM is probably too low for priming and to evacuate the air in the pump basket. I know I can't prime on low speed and that is around 35 GPM. Have you tried something around 50 GPM?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Mark,

I can't remember if I did or not. It was the year before last I was testing it. I'll give it a go tonight but I had a ton of frustration last time I was trying to dial it in.

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Call pentair tech support there are hidden menus that you can access that will allow you to change the tolerances of the priming mode.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool