Reducing CH via lime softening process

That can work, though if you try it be certain to follow all of the steps and don't proceed unless you meet all of the criteria. We don't recommend it because it doesn't meet our "trouble free" criteria. It certainly won't work for everyone, can cause metal staining, and failing to follow the directions correctly can create quite a mess. But if you are methodical, follow the instructions carefully, and meet the criteria, it can work out very nicely.

Its a risky proposition. I've been directly involved with this in the Industrial water treatment industry for a long time, and I'm not sure I would attempt it in my pool. A bucket is one thing, but it will go differently in the pool. Circulation and contact/residence time is a big concern. Then, if it works well, how easy will it be to filter out? Much easier in theory and on paper....and more than a little scary to me. It's the unknown that would deter me. You'll need to be very, very careful and critical on the alkalinity control. Extremely accurate dosing is also crucial to it being successful.

If you do it, please report back and let us know how it works out. It would be very interesting to see the results.

Couldn't find enough info about it at the other forum either. So I'll probably hold off. It's just frustrating because my calcium levels are high (450) and our fill water it's not much better. Getting scale buildup even dosing the pool every other day to keep ph 7.2-7.4.

Thanks again for the input

CH at 450 is really not all that high. CH is typically manageable up to a little over 1,000 (with a fair bit of effort). You should be able to compensate for CH around 450 and prevent scaling by keeping your TA just a little lower than normal. If you post a full set of test results we can give you more specific advice.

Sure things guys

FC. 4
CC. 0
PH. 7.2 - 7.4
TA. 60
CYA. 60
CH. 450

I'm still manually dosing the chlorine because PH still goes up regularly and I know SWG makes PH rise more quickly. As soon as ph stabilizes a bit ill make the switch. Pool is 8 months old. The issue is I'm getting a lot of calcium buildup.

With TA around 60 you shouldn't be seeing any scaling unless you let the PH go completely (i.e. over 8.2), though there is some chance of scaling inside the SWG at a PH above 7.8.

One thing you can do to further lower the odds of calcium scaling would be to add borates and then lower the TA further. Doing that should allow you to stabilize the PH below 8.0 and hopefully stop needing to add acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.