Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reducing CH via lime softening process

1. Back To Top    #1

Reducing CH via lime softening process

Wondering if anybody ever attempted it as decried in this thread:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...atment-Process

I did the test on the bucket as explained there and the CH went from 450 down to 25.

I did a Search on this forum but didn't get much. I got everything to get it don't but still a bit hesitant. Advice please.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reducing CH via lime softening process

That can work, though if you try it be certain to follow all of the steps and don't proceed unless you meet all of the criteria. We don't recommend it because it doesn't meet our "trouble free" criteria. It certainly won't work for everyone, can cause metal staining, and failing to follow the directions correctly can create quite a mess. But if you are methodical, follow the instructions carefully, and meet the criteria, it can work out very nicely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response.

4. Back To Top    #4

Its a risky proposition. I've been directly involved with this in the Industrial water treatment industry for a long time, and I'm not sure I would attempt it in my pool. A bucket is one thing, but it will go differently in the pool. Circulation and contact/residence time is a big concern. Then, if it works well, how easy will it be to filter out? Much easier in theory and on paper....and more than a little scary to me. It's the unknown that would deter me. You'll need to be very, very careful and critical on the alkalinity control. Extremely accurate dosing is also crucial to it being successful.

If you do it, please report back and let us know how it works out. It would be very interesting to see the results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Couldn't find enough info about it at the other forum either. So I'll probably hold off. It's just frustrating because my calcium levels are high (450) and our fill water it's not much better. Getting scale buildup even dosing the pool every other day to keep ph 7.2-7.4.

Thanks again for the input

6. Back To Top    #6

CH at 450 is really not all that high. CH is typically manageable up to a little over 1,000 (with a fair bit of effort). You should be able to compensate for CH around 450 and prevent scaling by keeping your TA just a little lower than normal. If you post a full set of test results we can give you more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just wanted to second Jason. 450 is very manageable, and many of us wish we had that little. The most important thing you can do is watch and maintain your pH very carefully.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Well now this is interesting. I had no idea.

To be honest, it sorta surprises me that some of the really experienced TFPers out West haven't given this a go.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sure things guys

FC. 4
    CC. 0
    PH. 7.2 - 7.4
    TA. 60
    CYA. 60
    CH. 450

I'm still manually dosing the chlorine because PH still goes up regularly and I know SWG makes PH rise more quickly. As soon as ph stabilizes a bit ill make the switch. Pool is 8 months old. The issue is I'm getting a lot of calcium buildup.

10. Back To Top    #10

With TA around 60 you shouldn't be seeing any scaling unless you let the PH go completely (i.e. over 8.2), though there is some chance of scaling inside the SWG at a PH above 7.8.

One thing you can do to further lower the odds of calcium scaling would be to add borates and then lower the TA further. Doing that should allow you to stabilize the PH below 8.0 and hopefully stop needing to add acid.

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks Jason. Borates should be going in this week. According to pool calculator i need 23boxes of borax for 29500 gal pool. I need to pick up another 9 boxes and it's going in.